What's it worth

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by simon_golf_tt, Mar 1, 2007.

1. simon_golf_tt New Member

Hi Folks,

I would really appreciate your thoughts on how much my Mk3 GTI is worth. I'll be putting it on the market soon and I'm not really sure what to ask for it as it's heavily modified.

If you can be bothered in reading through the long speel below I'd be most grateful.

Cheers, Simon.

1992 J plate Mk3 Golf GTI 3 door
    Grey Pearl Metallic
    With Mods see below:

I purchased this car in the 2000. The car was a standard mk3 GTI 2.0 8v. After about 12 months of ownership I started to get fed up with the performance and started looking into an engine conversion with Star Performance in Fife. I had used them for servicing and had seen what they could do when it came to tuning VAG cars. I initially considered fitting a VR6 or G60 engine to the car but Jim at Star had a brand new 1.8T engine sitting in the workshop on a crate and I just had to have it. This was a 180bhp TT Engine with new gearbox and all ancillaries even the TT instrument binnacle. The engine was fitted in October 2001 for a small fortune! However I was very pleased with the results. At that time the following parts were fitted:

Brand new, zero miles 1.8T Engine and gearbox (drive by wire).
    1.8T Engine wiring loom, ECU and Instrument Binnacle.
    VR6 driveshafts.
    S3 Brake Master Cylinder.
    Mk4 GTI Fuel Pump.
    Full Milltek Stainless Steel Exhaust including custom downpipe.
    Forge Front Mount Intercooler with samco hoses.
    Blitz Stainless Cone Air Filter (non oiled).
    Vibratech engine mounts.
    Blitz A pillar mounted boost gauge.
    Uprated discs and pads.

On Stars rolling road the car produced 215 bhp and 225 lbs/ft.

Other additions to the car fitted at various times are:
    Audi TT front brake callipers with 312mm Tarox cross drilled discs and Tarox pads.
    Koni top adjustable yellow dampers.
    Chassis Dynamics Lowering springs (35mm).
    Polyflex Polyurethane Bushes.
    Eibach Anti Roll Bars front and back.
    (the chassis is very tight with recently fitted top mounts, bottom ball joints and track rod ends and a full alignment).
    Mk4 GTI Recaro front seats (split rear seats will go with the car but have not been fitted). Black cloth with grey check inserts in mint condition as shown in the pictures.
    Pioneer face off CD Player.
    Sony 4 channel Amp driving rear hidden sub in custom parcel shelf and front high end components.

Late 2004, I started to crave more power again and Star had access to the K04 upgrade turbo from Turbo Dynamics. This was fitted by Star and this time I used MRC for the ECU remap. Parts fitted at this time were:
    4 bar Fuel Pressure Regulator.
    New Mk4 Fuel Pump (old was faulty).
    Turbo Dynamics K04 Hybrid Turbo.
    Neuspeed Turbo Inlet Pipe (metal).
    Aluminium shield around the airfilter and cold air feed from Bonrath front bumper ducts.
    MRC Tuning Custom Remap.

On Stars rolling road the car produced 250 bhp and 278 lbs/ft.

Cosmetics I have always preferred subtle mods to in your face therefore the most noticeable difference on this car to standard are the 17 Audi TT Competition Alloys and the slightly lower ride height. More subtle changes are the Hella Twin Spot Headlights, the Hella dark tint rear lights, Bonrath front bumper ducts and the 1.8T badge on the back.

Tyres on the car are Toyo Proxes T1-S with >5mm tread depth all round.
    Service History on new Engine is full and has been done by Star every 10k miles.

New timing belt (including water pump and rollers) and full service carried out only 2K miles ago.

Although this is quite an old car now it has had money thrown at it from the day I bought it and as such the condition is pretty good. Mechanically great. In fact I have a folder that documents all receipts for the car and the total is in excess of 20000 pounds over the last 6 years. Given the engine has only covered 40000 miles and that most of the mechanical parts are newish, there must be plenty of life left in the old girl yet.

Some other points to note:

All brake lines have been replaced for copper pipes so brake pipe corrosion should not be a worry.
    The alternator and power steering pump were new items with the engine.

Performance:
    The car is about 1200kg and has 250bhp. Therefore its quicker than a lot of new hot hatches i.e. Mk5 GTI (even a remapped one), Focus ST, Focus RS, Astra VXR. 0-60 for this car is 6 seconds dead and 14.3 seconds for a mile.

I would like to see the car go to a good home. If I was keeping it I would spend money on improving the paintwork, which although in fair condition for the age is not perfect and maybe fit a Quaife Diff to help traction.

The car will go with the following parts that I have never got round to fitting:

Rear strut brace.
    Debadged grille.
    New VR6 lower front bumper panels.
    Rear MK4 Recaro seats
    VR6 Front Panel and Radiator.

The car comes with a full years MOT and 6 months tax.

Im only selling the car as I now have a brand new Mk5 R32 and an Audi B5 RS4. I cant really justify three cars so the Mk3 has to go to a new home.

Pics to follow

2. simon_golf_tt New Member

3. Collie Forum Junkie

Its worth more than i can afford for my second car.[:^(] its always hard to put a price on a car like this. I would do some research on pistonheads/ebay/autotrader then fix a price.

When you post this in the for sale section Please remember to add a location.

4. simon_golf_tt New Member

5. simon_golf_tt New Member

6. simon_golf_tt New Member

Thanks Collie. I know it is not going to be worth anywhere near what I've spent on it, but some ballpark figures from likeminded GTI enthusiasts would be handy. I don't want to give it away and I'm not desperate for the cash either.

7. Seraph Banned

:o
    and you need to sell the mk3!!?!

8. simon_golf_tt New Member

I need to sell it to free up space in my garage/drive and also to save on a third insurance policy, road tax, servicing and maintainance. The RS4 is my new project so the golf has to go. Someone will very happy with it I think.

9. Collie Forum Junkie

i recon its got to be worth early mk4 money, just because of the sum of its parts.

10. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

mk3 golf can pick up a tidy one for 1500

that engine and spec maybe 1500

+ the fact it's already been done.

I would probably say 4000+

11. Seraph Banned

i always fancied a mk3 20vt

not gone 4k tho, or 3, or 2 :(

12. simon_golf_tt New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking 3500 was a fair price, so I think I'm in the right ball park. It will be up for sale soon. I have someone interested so hopefully he'll take it. Cheers. Simon

13. simon_golf_tt New Member

Head Up Guys - My mk3 passed it's MOT today and I've just stuck 6 months road tax in it. I have two interested parties at the moment - but if they fall through, I'll stick it in the classifieds on here. 3500 is the asking price.

14. vw_colourconcept Forum Member

simmilar 1 to yours would fetch 4k ....

15. simon_golf_tt New Member

Cheers vw_colourconcept - Hopefully someone will bite my hand off for 3500 then - fingers crossed!! Will find out on Thursday when the guy comes to look at it. Will be sad to see it go as have owned for 7 years.

Here are a few pictures taken yesterday straight after the MOT. Still looks a nice motor I think - not too shabby for being 15 years old. Good old VW!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. gtistu New Member

Looks good to me mate!

Even if your were braking it up it would be worth more than 3.5K!!!!

Looks fantastic value to me!!!!

17. mk1maz Forum Member

i own a m2 VR6, i dont really like mk3 golfs but ur one is really good, put it up for around 3500 - 4000

18. simon_golf_tt New Member

Cheers guys - got a viewing on Monday. If it doesn't sell I'll advertise it.

19. inoakgreen Forum Member

thats a sweet car for 3500!! i wouldn't budge on that price if i was you! good luck:thumbup:

20. D11BBA

D11BBA Forum Member

I agree...3.5K no offers [8D]