What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by Gaz37, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Is there still a market for 35mm SLR lenses?

I have a genuine Nikon standard (50mm F1.8) AF lense I'm thinking of sticking on Ebay, I don't want to give it away but am not sure of what reserve to put on it.

Any suggestions?

2. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Considering it should work on all Full-Frame (FX-Format) Nikon DSLRs and a good few DX-Format Nikon DSLRs, I'd say there's a market for it.
    Is it still available new, and if so how much is it?

I sold a Canon EF 35mm f/2 recently, mint, boxed.
    230 new, I got 170 for it.

3. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

The new Nikon 50mm lenses are AF-D & are 299, I know that mine will work on Nikon DSLRs but as the image plane is a different size on DSLRs compared to 35mm the lense won't be 50mm on digital.

I assume all the AF & aperature adjustment functions are compatible with DSLRs but don't want to make any misleading claims if I put it on Ebay

4. N/B

N/B Forum Member

You would need to read through the specifications of Nikon's current DSLR Lineup and check.

For example, on the D300:
    Lens Mount
    Nikon F Mount with AF coupling and AF contacts

Compatible Lenses
    1) DX AF Nikkor: All functions possible
    2) D-/G-type AF Nikkor (excluding IX Nikkor lenses): All functions possible (excluding PC Micro-Nikkor)
    3) AF Nikkor other than D-/G-type (excluding lenses for F3AF): All functions except 3D-Color Matrix Metering II possible
    4) AI-P Nikkor: All functions except Autofocus, 3D-Color Matrix Metering II possible
    5) Non-CPU AI Nikkor: Can be used in exposure modes A and M; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster; Color Matrix Metering and aperture value display supported if user provides lens data

So it would work on a D300 but you lose a metering mode - but I guess you just have to put a disclaimer on your eBay listing telling people that they are responsible for checking compatibility with their own equipment, and that you will not accept any returns on that basis.

5. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Why didn't I think of that?[:$]

Thanks for the advice:thumbup:

6. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Equivelant size for DX style digi cameras would be 77mm I think. I use my 50mm lens on both my f75 film camera and d60 digi without any problems.

I do lose the ability to autofocus as the newer Nikon bodies don't have an auto focus motor built in.However with a fixed focal length lens especially a 50mm that would not really be an issue.

I bought mine for 90 brand new and I would not expect to lose too much money on that on resale of course that would depend on condition.