Whats needed for 8v to 2.0 16v conversion?

Discussion in 'Passat' started by Stevecat, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Stevecat New Member

Hi

Im here again with yet more questions.

I dont have access to a better Passat with 2.0 16v but what I have is one incredibly good clean car.

What parts do I need to do a 1.8 8v to 2.0 16v swap?
    Iam going to be doing this myself with the crane.Gearbox would be getting swapped out for a lower mile unit too.

Thanks in advance chaps and chapesses.

Steve:thumbup:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

do you want to convert to 5 stud, or leave it 4 stud? B3 or B4 passat? are you happy with current box ratios?

3. Stevecat New Member

Hi mate

Its a 96 B4 Wagon

Would be nice to have more choice from 5 stud.

Did you have something to offer??

Steve[:D]

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no but i can tell you what you need now :lol:

you can keep the existing gearbox if you like, or switch to the abf one if included. you need the engine itself obviously, inlet piping, some kind of airbox (mk3 might fit?) exhaust manifold and it should pretty much drop right in. one thing to chekc is if your passat has a 6 bolt manifold, if not you'll need to change the downpipe as well.

for the fuelling if the passat is an SPI model you'll need to change the pump for a MPI item, mk3 gti/16v/vr6 should drop in.

with the running gear you have 2 choices, either change the entire bearing carrieors and wishbones, or press 5 studd hubs into your old bearing carriers and buy early B3 passat VR6 discs. these are vw only so more expensive, and are 280mm so you'll need to go to 280mm calipers and carriers if you want to use them.

if you go with 5 stud bearing carriers you'll need to change the wishbones for later passat 5 stud. you cant use mk3 gti bones becasue they need the matching anti roll bar, but the mk3 bar wont fit the passat subframe.

last of all with either of the above you need to change the outer cv joints for mk3 5stud items.

last of all the wiring loom, ideally a passat b4 abf loom would be what you need, but good luck with that! mk3 loom will be close but you will probably need to do a bit of loom fiddling to get it to work

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  5. Stevecat New Member

Thanks a lot John!

I'll MSN you in a sec.Hoping its ok to add you matey!

Steve:thumbup: