whats the biggest shot a mk2 2l 16v can take?? 75bhp??

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by geany, Jun 21, 2007.

1. geany Forum Member

getting the 2l 16v on my mk2 looking for over 200bhp. Was wondering is it could handle 75 or even 100bhp shot using a progressive controller. Will be a rebuilt engine P+P all new gaskets 4-2-1 manifold.

just want some advice really.

2. supercharged999 Forum Member

my mk2 8v is running 75 shot on a controller.

if you run more than this , you should be going to DIRECT PORT.( more money )

3. justadub Forum Member

please see wats da limit posted in the wrong sec. its in engines forum and please forgive the typing

4. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

Well 75 shot shoud give you over 200 on a 2l 16v. But as supercharged999 says that's starting to push single point. Any higher and you'd better go direct port. This is more expensive but not a massive percentage increase in the cost of the whole kit.

The motor should cope with that on a progressive cotroller so long as you're not to aggressive and get it set up correctly. Ring WoN for more advice (See my sticky guide at the top of this section)

5. geany Forum Member

yer with what i have planned for the 2l 16v i should be at about 185 without the nos so that would see me over the 250 margin with a 75bhp i was thinking or direct port anyway looking on the sight its not that much more with the initial price of the kit and if i wanted to go for 100bhp i would need it anyway.

6. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Yes go direct port though !

You will also need to change plugs , HT Leads and Coil also check you fuel pressure and pump !

you will also be advised to fit an uprated clutch.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  7. m47k Forum Member

when i was a young kid, and got fast and modifed its rubish, there was a write up on nos use
    and a expert sayed your should start with 50hp shot and build your self up

8. justadub Forum Member

very much agreed

9. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

25bhp is generally a good starting point as if you're mixtures off or somethings not right you're less likely to melt/do any damage. 50hp is quite a large hit. Obviously depends what its on. 50 hp on big block 8-9L V8 isn't to much but on a a 1.8/2.0L 8/16v VW mill its a good hike. Over caution is always your best friend with any performance mods in my view....steady as she goes.

10. geany Forum Member

also what a bout a VR6 as im in the process of buying one wanna get the engine about 300bhp on there going for a charger been looking at the rotex one that storm developments do.