Whats the correct way?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by scottmk1, Dec 7, 2003.

1. scottmk1 Forum Member

to check for: worn bushes
    worn balljoints/track rod ends
    worn topmounts
    worn cv joints?
    my mk2 has a handling problem, i cant quite tell what it is but it certainly doesnt feel right. anyone help?

its a 1992 mk2 8v gti, 5 door completely standard

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

easiest is getting it mot'd ;)

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

mot'er should only fail bushes that are f*cked...the handeling will begin to suffer long before they fail an mot
    you need to know how a new bush should look and perform and then lever your suspension around with a big lever while its jacked up look for excessive movment,slits etc

top mounts will have a big gap in the engine bay when you bounce it if worn..and they clonk

chances are most orig bushes are well worn by now

cv joints click when worn

whats the prob? are the tyres good..had the alignment done latley
    Edited by: pigbladder

4. scottmk1 Forum Member

yeah, the cars done 110000 miles, and no bushes have been replaced yet, i dont think anythings fu*ked yet, but as you say, on its way out.

5. Admin Guest

The change of weather can mess the handling right up! with icy/greasy roads etc. and decent tyres help, is there play in the steering?

6. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

doesn't mess the handling up, just means it's easier to crash ;)

7. scottmk1 Forum Member

the tyres are nearly new toyo t1-s, im going to see about getting the tracking donr tomorrow, cambers a different matter, too many places say that they cant do camber and i dunno if id trust them if they did. i cant hear the cv's clicking when driving, theres sometimes a small knock when slowly driving up a very small kerb into my driveway, but this only happens every so often. also when im goin round a roundabout, i need to steer out a bit to correct the path im taking, this is on roundabouts i know and its the only car ive had it happens in.

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

id consider ...new shocks,topmounts and inspect the rod ends and ball joints...and then get it set properly

9. scottmk1 Forum Member

ok, ive just looked through the receipts for the car, about 5000 miles ago it had 4 new springs and struts and front top mounts fitted, can i rule these out or is it still likley to be either of these?

10. pigbladder Forum Addict

they should be ok..any receipts for the wheel alignment?..they shouldve had it done when the shocks were fitted

11. scottmk1 Forum Member

yup, a laser alignment for all geometry, all was ok

12. daviddd Forum Member

if the ball joints are shot you'll hear a clunk when you go over a rough road, not necessarily a pot holed road. Mine used to do this and when I took the ball joints off I could feel the play of the ball in it's housing.
    Have a look at the anti-roll bar rubber mount (outer one) too - the hole in the rubber gets quite big when worn.
    Any damage to any rubber boot means a replacement - dirt will get in and soon grind away at the joint.