What's the difference between the carb on auto and manual cars?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by mr.brown, Dec 18, 2007.

1. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Either a 2E2 or a Weber replacement? The real question being can a Weber from a manual car be used to replace the Pierburg on an auto?

Cheers

2. Spanish Mike Paid Member Paid Member

I recently asked GSF if they could supply a Weber replacement for my Pierburg 2E2 on my auto Golf. They said they don't supply. I believe GSF would supply a Weber to replace the Pierburg on a manual. From this, and no more knowledge, it appears that a Weber for your automatic may not be available (??).

I would have thought, with some modification, you can replace your carb with either a Pierburg or a Weber. Maybe easier to stick to a Pierburg. I'm just guessing. Perhaps other members can throw some light on the subject, as I am interested to know too.

Mike

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Member maxmo has a Weber on an automatic Driver, I expect he'll be along soon...

4. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Hello [:$] ,
    The Weber on an automatic has different shaped throttle levers, brackets and an extra return spring, to the weber for a manual. Other than that it is identical.
    The weber I bought was secondhand and for a manual car. Webcon (Weber UK) supplied me with the correct throttle lever, brackets and spring for a few quid.

This guy here sells an auto version, if you have a 1600 he would probably supply the correct sized jets too for you to convert it (dead easy).
    http://www.fastroadcars.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=32

5. mr.brown

CHeers chaps. I have two Sciroccos at the moment - a 1.8 manual (selling) and a 1.8 auto (keeping). Both Pierburgs are functioning OK and not (hopefully) in need of imminent replacement.

I've just bought a used manual Weber and rather than fit it to the manual I'd rather keep it as a back-up for my auto.

@Maximo - any chance of those part numbers?

6. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Yeah, I can do that for you.
    Good job you're not in a hurry though, probably won't get to my golf until the weekend and not back at work to post the numbers until the new year.

7. mr.brown

Cheers:thumbup:

8. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Hey up,

990 045 0800 Throttle lever
    999 016 5100 Accelerator anchor bracket
    999 011 5500 Swivel hook tension spring
    999 016 5400 this is the swivel thing that joins the acc cable to the throttle lever, this was out of stock in june 05 when I bought the other stuff. I made my own using a suitable peice of brass tubing with a hole drilled through it for the accelerator cable and spring.