Whats the difference

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by GTIAndy, Jan 3, 2008.

1. GTIAndy Forum Member

Hi guys, looking for some info. What are the main differences between the Audi 3.2 quattro and a mk4 R32. Is the new A3 based on the mk4 or mk5 platform?

Obv one has quattro, the tother haldex. Are the engines the same, or does the A3 have the mk5 R32 engine?

The prices for the A3 are surprisingly cheeper than the older R32 and just wondering if an R32 would be worth the extra 's. I reckon residuals would be better on an R32 but not sure!

Cheers, Andy

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

either way your a winner.... drive both, pick your favorite.

I would go R32 all day.....

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

I believe that they have the same drivetrain i.e. Haldex

From what I was told when buying our Mk4 R32 back in late 2003, same / similar floorpan cars within VAG have the same drivetrains.

The A4 / Passat `up` floorpans have the original quattro style drivetrain.

Have not driven the Audi but the R32 was excellent, superb traction on snow and ice - the Haldex system being very impressive in these conditions. However, from a purely enthusiast`s perspective in dry .. ish conditions I would do without 4WD in this size of car and go for one with a lighter engine.

Happy to discuss my experiences & reasons further ... if required ;)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008