What's the difference?

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by walker_mk4, Jan 8, 2011.

1. walker_mk4 New Member

I previously had a 1.8T, AUM engine code, however i did sell it. [8(]

I am now looking at buying a different 1.8T, either AGU or ARZ. I have seen an ARZ 1.8T gti for sale, 2000 model :thumbup: What are the differences between the AGU and ARZ? Weaker internals on the ARZ? What about VVT, and is there any noticeable difference between either, performance wise or driveability wise? Does the ARZ have bolt down coilpacks?

Cheers, Simon

2. sid boss New Member

agu engine

hi mate the AGU engines have lager intake valves and it is a good engine to mod

3. Admin Guest

4. walker_mk4 New Member

I was hoping someone could tell me the positive and negative points to each of the engines? If thats at all possible? More of a comparision of the pro's and con's and advantages/disadvantages, and how this effects driveability, performance, and restrictions on modifying/enhancing performance? cheers:thumbup:

5. turbotommy Forum Member

Theres not alot of info about on the ARZ,they only made it for about 6 months before the AUM/AUQ took over so its either a the same spec as them or "possibly" ME7.1 which is still narrow band.Also it might only have a K03 turbo instead of a sport but i'm just guessing.
    As for VVT ,it doesn't matter and neither does engine strength unless your going to wack on a dirty great big turbo.

6. walker_mk4 New Member

I will be putting a KO4 on it, probably running about 270bhp ish. Guess the engine will be ok for that? is it cable throttle or drive by wire?

7. turbotommy Forum Member

Deffo drive by wire,the pics i've seen look the same as an AUM,just not sure on the vvt but more importantly if its narrow or wideband :-/
    K04 should be fine,but its a "tiny" bit of a gamble the same as any other 20vt engine (a gamble i'm willing to take my self lol) but its the mapping that more important and the torque delivery really.

8. walker_mk4 New Member

cheers mate, thanks for the help. if anyone else has any info/details/thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks