whats the different between adjustable rebound rates and adjustable bump rates?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Bodge, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Bodge Forum Member

yep i want a LSD. and to turbo my VR lol.. so it will be fun still... i also want to do a o2m conversion to get 4 wheel drive... but then i think why not save my money and buy a e46 BMW m3 in a few years time... i wouldn't need to slam the **** off that eather to be happy with it.

Its 5 stud fella. tell me more :thumbup:

and custom home made suspension? you nutcase, fair play... have you got any pics

2. danster Forum Addict

If your car is 5 stud and using the mk3 gti / vr style hubs and wishbones you have the stronger wishbones, wider track, choice of oe anti-rollbars, 288mm brakes and the design of this setup also gives more castor.
    This is a major improvement on the 4 stud mk2 / 3 setup. All be it negated by the weight of your vr lump!:lol:

I use these hubs on my scirocco with a few mods here and there to give better suspension geometry. I have no bump steer over the full range of suspension travel.

Some folk whack on tonnes of negative camber but when you turn the steering for a corner there is no way the inside wheel can lose this and go positive unless you have more castor. If you need 3 deg neg camber for the outside wheel to be flat on the ground because of body roll, the inside wheel will have 6 negative when it should have a little positive!! Bonkers Geometry as they say in the trade!!
    If that was not bad enough you then have a load of power sapping tyre scrub going up the straights as the inside and outside of the tyre are trying to be two different diameters.
    Some cars can work like this but it is far from ideal as the tyres wear so badly.

If you turbo a vr6 2wd, I imagine trying to put the power down will be a nightmare because if the wheels are spinning they are not steering!

3. Bodge Forum Member

ah i see. yep mine used to be a 4 stud 1.8. upgraded to the 5 studs and year down the line dropped the VR in.

I ran 3 deg neg camber for a while but it was crazy. back end came out all the time even at quite low speeds.. fun but not ideal.

Ive settled with 1.5 neg now and it turns in a lot better than standard, and its no where near as mental.

I might run a sensible ride height for a bit. probably before i go to the ring and a few months after it

Most of the Mk3 track cars on here seem to be running quite low and still look good.

Going low ends up getting addictive. like body builders thinking there not big. slamming is the same.. my car still looks high to me lol

4. danster Forum Addict

Have you purhased new suspenders yet Bodge?;)

I thought your new years resolution may have been to get a set!

After all the snow we have had I am waiting on the "scene" changing to the "monster truck stylee" with a suspension lift kit and dumper truck tyres!:lol:

You heard it hear first!

5. Bodge Forum Member

hahah i hope not... that would handle just as bad lol

i have brought some new coilovers. had some Avo on order but i then canceled and brought some budget coilovers..

there is a reason though.. within the next year im going to buy eather a Evo 8/9 or a Bmw e46 m3... so ive stopped spending out on my car

to get my mk3 to this level of handling and speed id have to put silly money into it... and it still wouldn't be as good as a Evo... plus i wont loose ALL my money if i want to sell it again in 2 years time

think how easy it it is to go out and buy a Evo lol..

still donno which to go for though.. evo or m3