Wheel bolts - extra long!

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by jsebc, May 28, 2004.

1. jsebc New Member

Due to the fact I have fitted new wheels which need 5mm spacers I don't feel confident with the standard wheel bolts, so does anyone know where to get any extra long bolts from. I have tried VW, tyre fitting places, motor factors and even Halfords but no joy! Please help, I need to use my car, BTW its a mk1 Scirocco.

cheers
    for any help

John

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

it's not the wheel bolts i wouldn't feel comfortable with- i'd never use spacers unless they were hubcentric and actually bolted to the hub themselves first, then the wheel bolts onto the spacer using standard bolt length. although i don't think they come as narrow as 5mm.

what to do is hold spacer behind the alloy and put bolt thru the wheel- see how far it comes out beyond spacer. unless it's a good length of thread i'd be tempted not to use them. your own wheels overtaking you on the motorway is never a good idea.
    Edited by: darrynK

3. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

just thinking tho, if you're really stuck. i think cosmic racing (the cheap tacky halfords sourced stuff) may do extended bolts for use with spacers...

... or get a local engineering firm to make you some up?? :)

Edited by: darrynK

4. Oplaii Forum Member

5. jsebc New Member

Thanks guys, Trackstore supplied bolts in 3 days. So I managed to get to Deva-Dubs at the weekend,

cheers
    John