Wheel bolts, head profiles, worth a discussion?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Jon Olds, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Factory Mk1's use a bolt with a rounded R3 (whatever that means..) head
    Most aftermarket seem to be 60 degree taper (ease of manufacture?)
    Rounded head must give a smaller contact patch when torqueed up
    Taper must spread the load better, assuming the wheel taper matches the nut taper.....
    Been playing with some engineers blue (ooh arh missus) to see how well the 60 degree seats
    on some aftermarket alloys that are currently fitted.
    Third option is a floating 60 degree captive washer built onto the wheel bolt, so will likely self centre
    better.
    I have use all three options over the years, think the VW R3 radiused bolt is best.
    About to buy some longer ones, to give me a better insertion depth for my Ibiza rally car, out next weekend.
    Can't find any discussions on the pros and cons of each on here
    Anybody care to share their knowledge and experience
    Not a very exciting subject, but always open to learn new stuff
    Also, on sticky tarmac tyres the forces involved are large.. even in October..
    Jon

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Rounded head should have a matching rounded seat surely?

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Not sure that's correct, I see your logic, but did VW ever have rounded seats?
    Jon

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The steels did, I'm sure, and the likes of BBS RA too.

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Steels, logical as they are a pressing. RA's, good to know. So maybe VW made an R3 type initially for the steelies/RA's
    with a larger contact patch. Did all VW alloys have this, I can't remember seeing it.
    Aftermarket stuff is a taper
    Jon

6. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

It always (in my experience) was on bl/rover stuff that steels were the round shoulder, then on alloys it was a captive (usually) conical washer, or a sleeve type nut again with a washer. Revolution wheels used to be like that.
    I'm sure I have a set if vag bolts with washers on the polo with alloys, and even lockers too.
    Most aftermarket stuff is conical shoulder, my new tow were as were the alloys for the bmw bought new. someone used round on the borbets and made quite a mess.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all VW factory fit wheels are ball seat including alloy wheels. optional accessory wheels often not, case in point aftermarket BBS RA 14" wheels fitted by VW dealers had to run different bolts to standard, not only was seating taper but the bolts are also a different length vs the 13 and 15" factory fit BBS RA

Sirguydo likes this.
  8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Lengths no issue, just ordered some to suit the spacers the car has to run to clear the big calipers. Interested in more comments please
    Jon

9. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

There is an R14 curved fitting too.......
    wheel bolts 1.png

10. rubjonny

the 5 stud cars use M14 bolts so its probably referring to that I guess? but yeah, VW wheels = ball/round seat and most aftermarket are taper seat. step 1 is ID what your wheels have, then match the bolts to suit. squidge a big bit of blutak in the bolt hole this will tell you what shape the bolt seats are

11. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

The 14" BBS RA Alloy wheels are as you say RJ taper fit and they are considerably longer (I have a set on my mk2) also my old mk2 Scirocco had speedline VW dealer option wheels radius type bolt seat.

12. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Being a rally, off road guy, the rims are whatever I can get my hands on. Typically 10 sets are in my shed at any one time. Tyres are >>>> than the cost
    of the rims, so I use whatever is around, cheaply.
    No such luxury as being a compomotive man.. Ot whatever..
    Most seem to be 60 degree, hence me using some engineers blue on a taper nut
    Jon

13. rubjonny

aye basically if it has a VW part number on they're radius/ball, if not almost certainly taper. to confirm 100% use something squidgy and press in the hole then you'll see right away what shape the seat is :) For aftermarket wheels what I use is BMW wheel bolts, these are the right thread and taper seat plus have 17mm hex head and slightly longer than VW ones so usually perfect. YMMV though some wheels require significantly longer bolts

when I got my GTI it had BWM E30 alloys on with a mix of VW and random other bolts, some were 17mm head some 19. glad I didnt get a flat on the way home :lol:

14. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Not all VW ones have a ball shape. I have an OE set from my south african Golf CITI and these are 60 degree taper.
    Interesting these were fitted with SA only pattern steelies, which are still collecting dust in my shed.
    Maybe VW sourced locally in SA?
    Car long gone now
    Jon

15. rubjonny

well SA is a bit of a special case, I'll clarify and say euro/us/mexican made :)

16. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

All MK1 and mk2 std are all ball type seat type as std in my experience, aftermarket vary. Use BMW wheels on the Hillclimb MK1 and they are taper seat, and I believe all BMW are taper......im talking older models here as I have limited knowledge of anything made after 1990 lol.

I've used ball seat nuts on taper no problem, but as I recall if you use taper nuts in a ball seat it can squeeze the 'point' of the seat up and locks the nut on the stud, then the whole stud and nut comes out. You have to grind the end of the nut off to get them to work properly again.

I don't use bolts just long studs and nuts, always fit long studs as that allows you all sorts of options with spacers and wheel combinations. On the front I try and make sure the center sits on the hub shoulder or use hub centric spacers to get the off set right, like when using Vauxhall or Renault wheels. On the back don't worry too much about bore sizes or offsets.

Surprisingly Demon Tweeks are not badly priced on studs and nuts and you know you will get them next day generally.

17. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Agree with everything TonyB has said on this, any more opinions?
    Jon

18. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I would say the bore size should match as that takes part of the shear forces as designed by the manufacturer, otherwise you are putting this force on the wheel bolts alone. Also offset wise the increased load on the wheel bearing, only my opinion but might be worth considering.

19. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

For those with a lathe and spare odd pistons collecting dust, you can make 'custom' spigot rings for free
    using the ali tops of the piston. LOL
    Jon

20. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Years ago I would have agreed with Valvemiester, and if possible I always would, especially on the fronts.....but over the years needs must and I've run wheels and spacers (although I limit then to 15mm these days) without the centre bores engages on race cars with slicks etc. and never had an issue, so don't worry that much these days.

Good call on the pistons Jon, although I tend to but the plastic ones off eBay these days they do the job, and as above I'm not convinced they do that much, the studs seem top do the work.

Good trick I used to use was to use MG 15" Tomcat wheels, far cheaper than VW wheels. You need a 10mm spacer to correct the offset and machine the centre bore out a few mm (can be done with a sanding drum as its not much) but work ok 20>40 quid a set a few years ago, although I think they have become more expensive now.