Wheel sizes for mk2 track car

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by thebluebus, Jan 17, 2007.

1. thebluebus Forum Junkie

my mk2 is looking more like a car now, and i'm thinking about wheels. Its sat on some temporary Seat wheels at the mo which i'll be looking to replace at some point. What is the size i should be looking at? 15's? would 16's have a negative affect?

Its running full mk3 VR6 gear, so would need to be 5 stud and clear the brakes.

Also if someone could very briefly explain offset, ET and all that other gubbins i'd appreciate it....bit clueless when it comes to this

cheers :thumbup:

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

ET stands for EinpressTieffe, basically means offset. There is a good page of information on the Tyre Save website here:

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/choose.html

Personally, id stick to 15" alloys for comfort, handling and you can still get your big brakes behind them. Tyres are cheaper, and part worn slicks can be picked up for reasonable money too.

3. thebluebus Forum Junkie

thanks luke, i'll have a read of that later :)

4. iguana Forum Member

My normal vote is 15'' also, (its what most of us run on trackers) but 16'' will allow more range in the larger brake dept & just about as many 2nd hand slicks avail- clios are now 16'' & can also use 4 x Lotus slick fronts- a' la ChrisP

5. seanlazyass Forum Member

16" semi slicks arent so easy to find though I don't think. Also more expensive.

You need to weigh up how expensive it will be to buy the correct sized 15" wheels with appropriate offset to allow big brakes, compared to 16" wheels and more expensive tyres.

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I've only found two choices for semi-slicks in 16" - Pirelli PZero's at 180 each, or Hankooks at reasonable money (80 each I think).

Much more choice in 15" range.

7. IanCarvell Forum Member

I have a shed full of part worn semi slicks but they are 225/45/16's would they fit your arches?

8. NormanCoal Forum Member

Now thats interesting to know, but with a widetrack setup I'm already at the edge of what can be fitted - boo

Monseiur Bluebus - dependant on what you are after, there is plenty of choice out there for 5x100 setup. I have had all sorts fitted to mine, from 15" ET 43 (standard offset for a VR6) to 15" ET20, and 17" ET31. There is lots of choice of 15, 16, and 17" rims from MK4/A3/TT platform car, and the offset of standard rims range from ET43-31

9. POL

pol Forum Member

if your looking to go for 15" i would have thought corrado speedlines would be the perfect choice. always loads of them for sale very cheap and 15" slicks/track rubber are readily available.