Wheels and tyres

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by VRSteve, Mar 11, 2007.

1. VRSteve Forum Member

hey guys, can any1 give me some advice on wheels and tyres to run on my mk 3 2.0 8v gti. i need slicks wets and a kinda intermediate set. wat rims wud be best and wat size.

2. Dub20vt Forum Member

i'd say lightweight 15s.. well that works on a mk2 so would of thought it'd work on a mk3 [:s]

obviously depends what brakes you are running aswell though.

3. VRSteve Forum Member

ive got an audi TT 312 set up on the front so i think 16's wud be smallest i cud use. any suggestions for best place to purchase wheels??

4. Dub20vt Forum Member

depends what wheels you choose really.. if you want smaller diameter it might be worth speaking to someone like compomotive, i know if you tell them your brake dimensions they'll tell you what the smallest available size that clear your brakes is!

i had 310s with porsche 4pots behind 15" MOs on my old mk2 (have 310s on the new one aswell but no 15s to show them behind)... but then 4pots take up less diameter than a normal sliding caliper.

[​IMG]

5. VRSteve Forum Member

im not really to fussy wat make or colour or condition they are in. i need 3 sets in total so dont wanna go stupid on the price. i think fairly wide 16's wudnt be a bad way to go but just not sure where to get them.

6. Dub20vt Forum Member

erm... Ebay, freeads, auto trader... dunno about cheap wide 16s tho... you might be able to get some cheap mk4 wheels... believe someone on SWdubs.co.uk forum was advertising a set for a couple of hundred quid

7. Dub20vt Forum Member

8. seanlazyass Forum Member

Before you buy your wheels, I'd choose your tyres.

I think some people have fitted your TT setup behind 15's.

I know there's been other threads on here about the best combo of tyres and wheels sizes.

I don't think there's a great selection of suitable tyres (for sprinting?) for a 16" wheel. Also 16" tyres will be considerably more expensize than 15" so any savings made on wheels will be overcome very quickly.

Also think about the overall diameter of wheel and tyres and how it may affect your gear ratios.

9. craggsy Forum Member

I had trouble getting my 16s over the TT setup.....so depends on the type of wheel as well

10. VRSteve Forum Member

cheers for that. loads of 16" sets on ebay so they shud do quite nicely.

where in somerset are you?