Wheels opinion...

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by inloop, Mar 2, 2004.

1. royalblue16v Forum Member

Go for 16" BBS RXs. Sweetest wheels ever on a Mk2. Just big enough, and shouldn't affect the handling too much.

2. Madbloke Forum Member

Ive run 15's on mine for a few years and then converted to 17's. I prefer the 17's but found

the car sits slightly higher on 17's as its a bigger wheel

0-60 seems a tad slower as its a bigger wheel --- Get it chipped!, should make it better :lol:

Car tram lined slightly more than the 15's +
    Felt a bit spongier on steering on 17's - front strut brace added and almost eliminated it

Rubbs on full lock -- its lowered 70mm

Would have rubbed on rears but had arches cut --- fine now

17's are crap in snow & mud cos the sidewalls are almost non existant so theres nothing to grip with

- - - -

Still I love em and would have em again...hope this honest opinion helps

3. ZapBranny Forum Member

Can anyone else confirm this?

I guy I know used to have a mk2 with 17's, he said that when he was pushing it the 17's didn't communicate as well as his 15's (which he used on track days).

He said it was because the 17's had less sidewall flex, apparently you can feel the tyre go onto the sidewalls and judge the limits better on 15's, with the 17's they had lots of grip until they went, i.e. not progressive and difficult to predict when they were letting go.

Any you track boys confirm this?