Wheels-perfectly ok and normal to use spigots?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Rgmracer, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Rgmracer Forum Member

I am looking to buy some Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s.

Is it fine and perfectly acceptable when using for serious track use to buy them to fit supplied with relevant spigots or is it important or recommended to get them made as a direct fit bore?

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

A spigot ring is useless unless it fits the ID & OD of the wheel & hub. If it doesnt fit then there is no point in using it (Not advised)

I would always use the correct spigot's on any wheels, But dont buy cheap ones. I have just taken a set of plastic ones from my Pro-Race 1.2's and all the clips snapped off in my hand.

If you have the option to get the wheels the correct bore then i would always go for that.

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

A compromise option is to get some tight fitting metal spigots made and try to secure them in the wheel. Then you are as close as you can get.

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

spigots are easy to make. find someone with a lathe

5. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

If your using studs with proper raised sections then spigots are not needed. But if your using bolts then a must.

6. Rgmracer Forum Member

I think a couple of you have misunderstood my posting.

I will be buying new wheels so the spigots supplied would be the correct ones for the car ["relevant" as I mentioned] but as I have never used spigots myself I just wanted to check that using them on a track car was perfectly ok and normal as otherwise I believe I can pay more and get them made to the correct size bore, meaning no spigots required.

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

spigot wheel location supplements the self centering of the wheel nut taper(s), and is a good thing, IMO

8. benny Forum Member

I've had spigots on my spare set of wheels for a couple of years now. To my knowledge and as perhaps said above, they are only the for the initial location (centering) of the wheel until the bolt / studs torqued up. I was warned of potential melting (as mine are plastic), so got a spare set, but haven't need them as of yet. The only issue I've had in a speedy wheel change scenario was one of the rear ones being stuck on the rear hub and another stuck in the wheel, therefore, two spigots - oops! Wondered why the nuts wouldn't nip up! [:$]

I run studs by the way.

Pascal, can you elaborate on studs with proper raised sections as I've not seen these - cheers!

9. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Plastic wont melt, it would be impossible for the wheel to get hot enough. The rally car front brakes glow orange in the dusk of an evening stage, but the wheel is <<100C on returning to the pits

10. budgiegibbs New Member

I had the paint on my repainted steel wheels melt. After a race it looked like I had gone out with wet painted wheels!!!