When does/doesn't a turbo come in

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by chrisw2uk, Sep 4, 2010.

1. chrisw2uk New Member

Hello, I know my turbo works I can feel & hear it...... but sometimes ''usually over 50mph'' I put my foot down and feels like less take off as when doing lets say 20mph also putting foot down

my question is there points in the rpm or gears that the turbo will NOT kick in

Or will I only feel turbo mostest with foot down from a slow speed?

Car:Golf 2.0 mkV GTI T FSI -

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

There`s not a point where it `won`t kick in`, it all depends on road speed and gear as to how it feels when it does.

At 20mph, you`ll most likely be in 2nd gear, so will feel acceleration more strongly then 50mph+ where you`ll be in 4th or 5th. If the revs are low(-ish) at that speed it`ll take a few more seconds to build before the turbo comes `on boost`

Google `turbo lag`...

3. chrisw2uk New Member

most helpful and i kinda understand now...will investigate under heading given cheers

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Reason why you cant feel turbo kick in in a mkV is because there is near to no lag what so ever!

Very linear acceleration in these just like naturally asspirated engines but with more urgency in lower revs

5. coupechamp Forum Member

as above, basically the quicker you are going the less you are going to feel the acceleration, it's physics at work. My wifes individual EOS (GTi engine) gives a bit of kick, use the revs and keep it spouling and it will give more, let the revs drop and it will die until about the 2500/3000 rpm mark, unlike my Edition 30 which works all the way to the end, 6th gear and still a kick, so it depends on car, weight, speed, revs etc. Just learn your car/engine and see where it works best. Also like my race car, the N/A Polo, up against it's big sisters, Golf GTi's all turbo's, you need to look ahead more and think, do i need to come of the throttle so much, can i carry a bit more speed into a corner.....MOMENTUM, keep it all moving, less effort to build it all up again. :thumbup: