When might the Mk3 "come of age"?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by theboymike, Feb 11, 2011.

1. theboymike Forum Junkie

I've never liked Mk3s. I've always thought of them as lardy, not-really-retro, plasticky merchants of contemporary boredom. An ugly, bloated younger cousin to the well-aged and classic lines of the Mk2 if you will.

I've been guilty of considering the only saving grace of the Mk3 Golf line as being the ABF engine, and it's willingness to be oiked out and hidden in the bay of a nice mk2. This approach seems to be supported by the price of Mk3s ATM, which appears to be rock bottom.

However, this attitude has been changing of late. Aesthetically I've started to appreciate the smooth, understated lines of the Mk3, along with some of the colours that were available (anyone for Mulberry or Dragon Green?).

While I've never liked the boat-anchor 12v VR6 with it's queer combustion chamber shape and insufficient number of valves, I can appreciate how pleasant it must be to waft around courtesy of it's lazy, torquey 170-odd bhp under your right foot. And all this enjoyed from the opulently-appointed, leather clad, toy-festooned interior that many VR6s models came with.

In summary it seems like a good time buy a Mk3; since you get a hell of a lot of car for your money, and they appear to have reached that low point that all mass produced cars have to endure; where they're too old to appeal to the mainstream buyer, but too modern to gain desirability through classic status.

I'm wondering if, like the Mk1 and 2 before it, the Mk3 is about to enjoy an increase in demand and subsiquent rise in prices in the near future...

Anyone else have any thoughts?

2. Willber Forum Member

I still see a lot of MK3's running around but they all seem to be pretty shabby with the exception of the School Teacher looking bloke who has clearly owned his from new.

I bought a MK3 16v and ran it for a couple of weeks and it is a lot easier to live with day to day than a MK2. However I just don't think they will have any kind of cult status near to what the Mk1 and Mk2 have. I think this is because the Mk3 when new was not praised as a particularly good car.

Just my 2p

3. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

I thought it already had tbh...

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'm wondering if they just need to become rarer and a bit older still, to gain cult appreciation. Nothing like rarity to completely override the fact something is intrinsically less good. Take the "Series 1 Golf GTI" for eg - 1588cc motor, rust a plenty, yet people climbing over themselves to own earlier versions of this classic.

Some of the Mk3s rot fairly well IIRC, but there must be tons of them left?

Maybe Mk2 prices need to ramp up some more, in the same way some folk avoid Mk1s due to purchase cost and perceived running costs. Then the Mk3 becomes the obvious choice?

5. Devon Dubber

Devon Dubber Forum Member

Don't forget the MK3 was car of the year in 1992, beating the Astra in 2nd place and the Citroen ZX in 3rd. (hardly stiff competition I grant you!).

I think that the MK3 will eventually begin to become more desirable/valuable over the course of time but it will take comparitively longer than the 1 and 2.

I too have begun to appreciate the car a lot more recently, especially the 16v and VR6.

Lets not forget that the MK3 Golf is a very good car in whatever guise it comes in, from the little 1.4 shopping carts up to the mighty VR6. It's just a shame that the car has such a hard act to follow, to better the MK2 was a vertually impossible task! (unless they just brought out the MK1 again!:lol:)

The MK3 needs to be compared to other cars of its time, and when you do this it becomes clear that it is a brilliant piece of kit.... Its just its father and grandfather that mean it gets a hard time.

Although the MK3 8v is not as out and out quick as the MK2 it is still a very capable, comfortable car to do distances in and is plenty quick enough for most people. And you get a GTI badge with it!

Still won't catch me trading in the 2 for a 3 though:lol:

6. fried egg

fried egg Forum Member

I think nows a good time to buy one and stick it at the back of the garage for a few years and watch it rise in price. I sold my 1992 mk2 GTI about 4 or 5 years ago for 750 as they wasn't selling well and i see the prices of them now and wish i had just tucked it away somewhere for a few years.

I think Chris hit the nail on the head with them needing to become a bit rarer, as we all seem to lust after the cars that are few and far between.

Steve

7. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

The fact that there is now a dedicated race series I think in the long run will help push the price back up (one day), but it will never attain the revered status of the MK1's & 2's.

I think the MK4 will suffer even more though (with the exception of the R32 maybe).

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i think the mk3 is far more gti than you give it credit for

it came from an era that may as well be a different planet to the early/mid 80s, it will never have the same cult status with todays petrolheads, but in another 10 years, in the same way we coo over 80s metal, youll get people that coo over 90s metal.

the mk4 "gti" though, ive no idea what will happen to that. seems theyre run almost soley by chavs. they have no actual GTI credentials i know of after 17k miles in ours

9. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Sorry, I didn't intentionally try and divert the flak on to the MK4 then...:lol:

10. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

How can you not want to whack off to this?!! :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a beautiful looking car, just needs some careful attention to make it look like the GTI it really is under the bonnet!

(and yes the front number plate needs to be re-stuck! [:$] )

I agree with Matt82, they are a massively underrated car..means more for us!

11. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

I agree. I have driven a few mk3 gti's and they are good cars! The 16v is great!
    I run a mk4 20vt as a daily and although it is a nice car to drive, I agree does not feel like a gti. Its too smooth and overweight and under powered in standard form. As for the early mk4 2L 8v cant believe they put a gti badge on that!!

12. cockney chris

cockney chris Forum Member

I've always claimed that the mk3 16v would become a classic in time and was laughed at. But here you are talking about it. It will happen, as with most select vehicles from most makes.

13. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

I blame the 8V for people thinking the MK3 is rubbish tbh, It is quite slow, and there are sh*t loads of them. Hopefully one day the 16V will begin to gain a bit of status, its far too ugly to be in the same class as the MK1 & 2 though.

Since I (errmm the mrs;)) got a 16V I have really learned to appreciate the ABF engine, its so willing, and not particularly slow, and all wrapped up inside a 5 door family hatchback, for me the MK3 16V has already attained cult status...

14. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Ive been toying with the idea of a mk3 too, and agree that the 16v is an underrated bit of kit that can be had for a bargain. You get some of the comforts of a more modern car (PAS, half decent brakes, better than a mk2 in a prang etc...) and also some of the "GTIness" still intact. (isnt the standard suspension a bit suspect comared to Mk2 though?).

The main thing that puts me off them is the fact they all seem rusty in the arches and sills unless thay have been very well looked after, and if you spend a bit more you could get something "better" like a mk4 or Audi A3.

Cheers

Dan

15. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I've always thought the doors were the place for rust on a mk3 although I don't think the mk3 typically suffers with rot, not like other cars such as Fords, it just seems to be the odd one.

And as for spending a bit more and getting a mk4 or A3.. :lol:

The only mk4 I'd ever buy would be an R32, and youd have to spend ALOT more to get one of them! They are in no way better, I think the mk4 was a step back in motoring terms for VW. A3's are just mk4s with different bodies, same boring 1.8T engine in the top spec 'GTI' range, they are hideously overpriced still and I dont think they even look that good - that's for the earlier A3, youd have to spend much more for the more recent/decent shape!

16. jettamk2coupe Forum Member

I must admit, i've never been a fn of the mk3 although I did own a mk3 vr for a few months just to see what all the fuss was about only to sell it somewhat bemused and with a slightly lighter wallet after a couple of months! I have thought the same, there was a time where stunning mk2 big bumper 3 door 16vs with a good pedigree were available from 500 quid so i'm sure mk3's will come of age and demand will increase, when there's a demand higher prices can be commanded. I reckon 5 years or so and a good valver will be upwards of 2.5k, many are getting bought up and *******ised for their abf lumps (can't see what all the fuss is about to be honest, i much prefer 9a's) so they are getting thin on the ground, best get stashing a few away now I reckon ;)

17. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

You prefer 9A's that are less powerful and less 'GTI'?!?:o

18. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

I guess it depends what your after, ive no doubt the mk3 16v is a more involving car to drive than an early a3 1.8t but in refinement stakes surely the a3 is miles ahead (quieter, better ride, mod cons). Looks like at least 800+ for a tidy mk3 16v and an a3 of smilar age 1-1.2k so not really much in it. The main advantage for me to the mk3 would be that diy maintnance is easier.

Cheers

Dan

19. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

20. Tam Nyakobyashi Forum Member

Took a corner to fast and wrote this baby off last week. The idea was to wait till it became a proper classic. I saw an early black MK3 VR6 with the orrible blue interior and was thinking about it as a project.......but could get an 2000 or 2001 s3 for the same price now.

[​IMG]