When Removing Engine...?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by hypojam, Oct 9, 2010.

1. hypojam Forum Member

Hey, im in the process of removing my abf from my mk3, just a quick question for now, im sure more will come up abit later...

In regards to the exhaust/downpipe whats the best procedure for disconnecting this, or should i leave the down pipe on disconnect the cat and then pull the engine up and away leaving the downpipe on?

I have an engine crane so manoeuvrability shouldnt be an issue.. cheers

2. danster Forum Addict

Probably splitting the down pipe from the cat is the best option, especially if you have a crane. Remember to disconnect the lambda probe. :thumbup:

3. robertGTi3

robertGTi3 Forum Member

yes, the best way is to disconnect the cat from the down pipe and lift the engine out

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I can bet you any money the bolt that is underneath the manifold that bolts it to the head will be siezed and rusted solid and will round so its the only way to get it out as found out the hard way [:s]

5. rankadoodle Forum Member

Rust seized is a mk3 feature [:D]

6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Yep. Wish me luck changing the down pipe on my TDI tomorrow... [xx(] :lol:

7. rankadoodle Forum Member

Seriously, Good luck :p

8. monkeyzoo Forum Member

Mine came off without issue. Maybe I got lucky. How did it go Stu?

9. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Piece of p*ss as it happens! [:D] :lol:

None of the studs snapped in the turbo, and the nuts whilst looking well rusted came off dead easy.

Had new studs on standby, and only replaced one that had come out with the nut. New nuts all round of course.

The two brackets under the tunnel (that stop the exhaust hitting the floor if it snaps) were a different matter though...all but one stud snapped meaning a bodgy welding job to re-fit the fookers... [:x]

(Apologies for the hijack, Hypojam! [:$])