When to give up?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Gibbothebrit, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

There's lots of good stuff coming out on this thread... do you think we could get it made into an FAQ?

Just an aside...at the risk of asking a really dumb question.... in all the chat above nobody mentioned injector seals. I trust they're all present and correct.

I expect you'd hear the leaks if there were missing seals anyway...

2. The Pig Forum Member

If it doesn't start and it all checks out, pull an injector to make sure it is spraying fuel while cranking.

You will have PM in a minute.....

3. Gibbothebrit Forum Member

seats and seals all new, think thats mentioned somewhere in here.

still waiting for that little light on the charger to start to flash [:[]

4. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

You'll be driving it around by tomorrow night m8 !
    [:D]

5. Gibbothebrit Forum Member

well, got the battery in, and with the misses turning it over and me wiggling the dist managed to get it started, its making one hell of a lot of tappet noise and was smoking quite a lot in the engine bay, but at least it was ticking over.

however revs were sitting quite high, and had no power at all, car would stall if i tried to go anywhere. [:x]

6. Gibbothebrit Forum Member

Cheers for all your help people, back on the road and fairly happy apart from the lack of 5th gear but that will be sorted tomorrow.

can't claim all the credit as dan came roand this morning to help finish off the tweaks, and greg offered his advice via email.

cheers guys.

you wont belive it though dan, after you drove off the car stalled as it hadn't quite made 1st but got 3rd, and wouldn't start again, had to go back into caffyns and get the bloke to give me a jump from their starter unit. :lol:

7. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

pmsl !
    Sods law aint it ! Might want to check your alternator connections then m8, should have got enough juice in the battery from that drive.
    Wondered where you'd got to, just thought it was your car was slower than mine ! ;) :lol:
    Edited by: ^neo^

8. Gibbothebrit Forum Member

whats the power to weight difference between mine and yours? ;) plus i'm a better driver, even without being able to select gears properly. :lol:

car was fine when i went to go to work so hopefully is ok, if not one of the alt connections may have come loose when it was standing.

9. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

either that or your battery could do with some water in it.

Power to weight difference?! Dunno, but i weigh more than you, have a big toolbox in the boot, and more power in my battery !
    :lol:

10. Gibbothebrit Forum Member

When i went back the guy who was asking about CGTI was saying his mate was trying to sell his mk1, apparently had put a 2L lump in it but couldn't quite get it to run right so has given up!?

apparently having trouble selling it you might be able to get a bargain!

thought the weight difference between the mk1 and 2 was around 300-400kgs don't think you quite make that up with tools and a few pies :lol:

although wouldn't say you weighed more, your a bit shorter. ;)

cheers again for the help.