When to sell? Is the Mk2 Gti be a sensible choice for a daily driver?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Alpenweiss2, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Matt48 Forum Member

just to say as posted in your other thread 44mpg on A3 plus london.

This was on a fill up proper test so I reckon on 46+mpg on motorway driving!!! Just luck on a good engine?

2. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

We have decided to keep the car!!

We need to do a few things to accurately assess the MPG and also to improve it. We will be doing a long trip up to Lancaster from Kent just after Christmas so will brim the car and see what we get!!

Going to look into sourcing an under tray for the engine and probably fit a set of ultrasonically cleaned injectors. I have a spare set knocking about in the shed!

I must admit, that on a long motorway run it is difficult to stick to 60-65 MPH to keep the revs below 3000rpm. The Golf always feels like it is happier when pushing on a bit at 80MPH!! :lol:

I have just done an oil change (Fuchs Titan) and fitted new Bosch plugs. Also a new fuel filter has been fitted and I think we will fit a K&N element to replace the paper filter!!

Alpenweiss 2

Happy Christmas to all on the forum!! :)

3. emery1990 Forum Member

Good man, tbh the 1.8ts would probably do about the same mpg as the 8v anyway so it is fine for a daily.!

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

Great news !

... but why did you spend out on those parts when you had said that the car was running well / well looked after ?

Completing that run to Lancaster would have given you a better comparison to your current performance.

What size is your air filter element ? - I have a used (washable) K&N panel filter here, from an 8v GTI I think ... if it will fit you can have it free of charge ... as long as you promise to stick to 56mph ;):lol:

Update - K&N filter size is 27.3cm L x 13.1cm W x 2.5cm H

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  5. Gaddmeister Forum Member

Great news! I know that if I did not have a company car I would be using my MK2! Merry Christmas!

6. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Glad you've seen sense!

Maybe look at the taller 5th gear for cruising aswell, could be a worth while investment.

7. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

Hi Jamesa

Well it was running well, but it was due a service!! Since the beginning of 2011, we have covered 16,000 miles in it!! I will definately take you up on the offer of the K&N.I will check the measurements and send you a PM. I can paypal you some money to cover the postage?

Cheers Paul

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

Fair enough ... [:$]:)

No Paypal necessary ... Gong Xi Fa Cai ;)