Where do I go from here?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by themylward, Nov 25, 2013.

1. themylward Forum Member

Hi all,

Those of you that saw my thread last week (or my sig) will be aware that my car was stolen:cry:

When I first insured the car I was told that I would not be covered for theft until I had an immobiliser fitted and sent them paperwork as confirmation that this was done. I never got round to doing this, therefore I cannot claim for my loss. Totally my own fault!

The questions I have are;

1 - Is it a legal requirement to tell the insurance company that my car was nicked?

2 - If I tell them, will they take that as a claim?

Seeing as I will not receive any money from them, I would rather just leave it and keep my no claims (10 years), but unsure if this is legal or not.

Cheers :thumbup:

2. D4LFR Forum Member

has the car been found?

if you tell them it has been stolen then it WILL go against you whether you can claim or not

3. themylward Forum Member

Thanks for the reply.

The car is still missing, unfortunately.

I had feared it would affect my policy. So do I have to tell them? Is it an offence not to?

4. Gup16v Forum Member

If the insurance company have not paid out for your loss, it wont go against you. I would notify them its been stolen. Get the policy stopped or suspended.
    that way if the clown who stole it is stupid enough to drive it around, he might come up on the ANPR cameras for the car having no insurance.

its like any insurance policy, it only goes against you, if you want to be paid out and there is no 3rd party to claim from if it was not your fault.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    Chrisrpal likes this.
  5. D4LFR Forum Member

not quite true,

if someone crashes into someone and ring the insurance company to tell them that there may possibly be a claim coming after the cars have been checked over and then no claim is made the insurance still use this against you!!

6. Gup16v Forum Member

Why do they?

never in my time working for insurance companies have these possible claims gone against the insurer. If the insurance company pay out, they will raise your premiums.
    If they dont pay out, what reason do they have to register the claim against you?

if you decide to settle the matter privately, its like the event never happened. Or in this case, if you cant claim for theft as the insurance does not cover you, they cant screw you for something they are not covering you against.

7. lard44 Forum Member

I can't speak about car insurance, but in my experience of home insurance they can use 'reports' - not claims - against you.

I reported that I'd had to break into my own house via the back door (locked myself out). I didn't make a claim yet it was noted and the next year my premium rocketed.

Tread carefully...

8. Chrisrpal Events Team

Such a shame Themylward car was stolen. I have seen many of those cars gone over the years from friends etc...I hope the police catch those who are responsible. I hate low life thieving scumbags, they can rot in hell for all I care!!