Where do I start, got 4 issues with W reg 1.8T

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Archieback, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Archieback New Member

Hi

Am new to Golf's, got one last week on a whim and on the drive back noticed:

1 - Clutch is slipping. What's the best route when replacing? Standard v's upgrade
    2 - When the engine is running there is a constant tick tick ticking from the glove box that I thought was the blower until I turned it off and the noise continued. Any ideas?
    3 - I started it yesterday and the coolant warning light came straight on and it came up check coolant. The Level was above minimum??
    4 - The revs keep dropping at what should be the idle, then the anti stall kicks in and it goes back up to then go back down.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1 - I'd keep it with standard sachs parts. if you have a DMF you can convert to SMF using G60, corrado 4 cylinder, mk3 or seat abf/tdi flywheel and a VR6 clutch kit if you wanted. If its a 6 speed though it will be very rattly once converted so I'd stick with DMF if it was me

2 - does it have climatronic? if so it could be one of the motors, try fiddling with the settings. if not i think the recirculation flap is electric on all the ac models so try fiddling with that button see if it stops or changes

3 - could be duff level sender, check the plug and wiring to it as well for damage

4 - get diagnostics plugged in. check the ecu fault codes, clear them and drive it for a few miles then see what comes back. also read thru all the ecu measuring blocks see if all the sensors return believable values.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

For the slipping clutch, how many miles is on the car?

For the HVAC, possible fault on the recircuation flap motors, a scan of the HVAC will give more clues.

A scan of the cluster will confirm if G2 is faulty. This also shared with the engine temp sensor G42. Usually a common fault on a MK4 based vehicle.

A scan is the way for number 4.

4. Archieback New Member

Thanks for the replies. I think sticking standard with the clutch is the way for me. First thing then, I will get it hooked up to a diagnostics reader and brace myself! Thanks again for the advice

5. Archieback New Member

Oh I forgot to mention it's done 136 K

6. dub303 Forum Member

Revs dropping at idle could be the throttle body just needs cleaning with Carb cleaner.

My AGU used to do it every couple of years. Quick fix but trickier if fly by wire as they need something resetting via vag com if I remember correctly.

Mine didn't. Worked 3 times or so.

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What was the outcome of this Archieback?