Where have you put your non-OEM ecu - Mk2 Golf

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by timotei1980, Jul 10, 2015.

1. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

looking for ideas for where to locate my DTA ecu in my Mk2 Golf. Would like to put it inside the car somewhere i.e. behind the dash or centre console.
    The car has full interior so has to work around all the original equipement and has to be accessable for mapping etc...

Any pics, good places, bad places to avoid, existing holes in the bulk head for wiring to use would be helpful.

Thanks.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if i was you id have it in the document folder nice and accessible and means it actually has a use :lol:

edit: other advantage is its near the fusebox and engine loom grommet holes so your fusebox wire runs will be as short as possible, and engine loom routing close to factory :)

if you went passenger side either in glovebox, in tray or behind tray that means although fusebox runs a bit longer, the engine loom is easier to fit and remove in future as you can use the LHD engine loom grommet hole so can fit/remove the looms without having to pull the servo.

even if you put it behind the dash tray its only 5 or so screws to gain access, or if you're crafty you could have the mapping port could be setup facing down so you can just reach up behind the tray to plug in :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  3. mec82 Forum Member

I don't have a document tray so gutted the glovebox and put it behind there. Hidden but easily accessible through the glovebox door. Unfortunately I now have nowhere to put my gloves [emoji25]

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

4. blis Forum Member

RJ, I spent the last 2 hours wondering why you recommended an ECU mounted in an invoice binder until I realised it's the compartment under the wheel that you are referring to.

Had a big laugh having my own DOH moment!

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Well if you did put it in one of those plastic wallets you could mount it in the scuttle and it'll be waterproof :lol:

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

On both of my road MK2 cars, the ECU is found behind the carpet just above the passenger footwell in the location highlighted in blue.

MS ECU mounting WOLF R.png

Alternatively it can be fitted behind the center console as denoted by the blue arrow.

This way the glovebox remains a glovebox.

7. blis Forum Member

I think the easiest way is to make a waterproof housing and mount in the scuttle. The the engine loom doesnt route thru the firewall.

8. Toyotec

If the ECU and ECU connector are not waterproof, I would not recommend being placed to the ambients.
    Fit inside the vehicle.

9. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

No, I wouldn't recommend this*. DTA S40s are NOT waterproof, and the others are only water resistant.
    If the enclosure is completely waterproof, it will also not allow enough air to get to the ECU, which could cause it to overheat.

It also means connecting to the ECU requires have the bonnet open, or running a comms cable through the bulkhead.

*Do as I say, not as I do!! Mine's been in the scuttle for a long time, but I'm moving it so it won't get wet, and I can access the comms port more easily.

blis likes this.
  10. blis Forum Member

That's a fair point, I was of the mind that while many of the OEM use a DB type connector, it would be simple to bridge a DB ribbon internally to a housing, but I didnt consider thermal issues. Personally, I hate working on under dash wiring, bad back and all...

:)

11. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Bolt it up the bulkhead just above the glove box there is a threaded pin there you can use also, keeps looms nice and short runs to engine, with com lead
    right there for you :thumbup:
    Just cut and trim roof of glove box to suit takes up very little of glove box.
    You really don't want it low down in case heater matrix blows as they do and wrecks your ECU :(:cry: :thumbd:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  12. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Mine is mounted to the underside of the Glovebox

13. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks,

Was orginally thinking behind the centre console so will probably stick with that, will see how it goes when i start to layout the wiring.

Started removing the orginal loom today and got to the point of where it goes through to bulkhead. Looks to be tight because the brake servo is in the way, so might have to remove that for ease of access.

14. Toyotec

^^ Good man.

15. Jommanjo Forum Member

Mine's in the glovebox, mounted to the underside of the top of it, like Eddie's. The back is cut out so the plug goes out straight into the loom via the OEM grommets. Nice and neat, although when a couple of pins needed changing when I upgraded from M3DK to K3 it was a complete ballache working under there. Map sensor is in there too.