Where is most common to...

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Steve007, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Steve007 New Member

have a loose connection on the coolant system?

I've changed the rad which had a very minor leak, the waterpump, thermostat and most of the hose clips.

Checked all the connections, the pipes on the rusty metal pipes are rusted solid on but sealed, however, somewhere I am loosing pressure and therefore am having problems with the water temperature.

Any ideas?

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

should be fairly obvious by the water coming out and leaving crusty marks

the flange on the side of the head often leaks , but they can leak anywhere really

3. SimonG Forum Member

Try the flange/thermostat housing. I've found that once they've been removed and put back on they never seal quite right, the plastic seems to warp.

4. WillG

WillG Forum Member

head gasket? expansion cap?

5. Phil. Forum Junkie

Did you scrape the face of the block with a blade to remove any corrosion when you installed the new water pump?

Let it run up to temp and squeeze all pipes on the system, it should become obvious if it's an external leak.

6. shane d Forum Member

Deffo try Header tank cap. Heater matrix???

7. shane d Forum Member

Any luck finding culprit??

8. Steve007 New Member

Not sure yet, I have found a loose hose clip on the radiator which I think is the source. However, the new thermostat i bought from GSF seems to be urm... lesser quality than that expected as the temperature goes 3/4 ways up the temp gauge and then opens to let water into the radiator rather than opening at 1/2 way. But at this time it doesn't appear to be much of a problem as it's really cold outside so will leave it until it warms up (plus I got 10 of anti-freeze in the rad). Will change the thermostat housing as well at the same time.

I've put a new cap on the expansion tank as I thought I had the old black one on but it turned out to be an oil covered blue cap!

No obvious leak but the vacuum purging tool i have for my air compressor doesn't seem to hold pressure so wasn't able to fill using the gadget.

Water is holding at the moment and the heater has became a more managable temperature but fluctuating from hot ato cold when driving at different speeds.

Will check in another week to see if any loss of water.