Where is the engine code on my 1991 Mk2 16v?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by normannumeric, Jan 22, 2015.

1. normannumeric New Member

Can anyone tell me where to find it? I think my engine was swapped out for a KR but I need to change the cambelt. I just to make sure I get the correct kit.

Cheers!

Matt

2. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

[​IMG]

back will look like this if its a 1.8 kr

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  3. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Eddie you're slipping mate you need to tel op its at the front of the engine above the oil filter housing at the top of the block where it meets the cylinder head lol

Also it'll be rusted to buggery and very hard to make out but I guess that's why you're showing op the back of the block as well :clap:lol

4. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

I'm a pictures man ...if they can't work it out from them...they are beat :thumbd:

Like what do you see ?
    A nice bike or something else .would you like to see the back of it ?

[​IMG]

5. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

It's obvious if it's a kr. It's the only 16v engine they did. Unless someone has fitted an ABF. Surely you'll know that from the previous owner when you bought it? An ABF swap isn't something they wouldn't mention to you

fasteddie likes this.
  6. harryvr6 Forum Member

I bought my golf without knowing it was an abf conversion: the guy selling it didn't have a clue ! It was only when I got my mot's on the v5 that I noticed!

As has been said, finding the stamp on that rusty block ain't easy though!

7. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

I did think the pictures covered it fully [:o)][:[][:o)][8-}]

No need to find the rusty stamp [:[][:|][8-}]
    2 litre Abf also has knock & crank sensors plastic breather housing to the Kr's alloy one and none not hard to tell whats what.

That's why I posted the pic of the rear of the block .... big 1.8 that even Stevie wonder could see ;)
    Doesn't get any easier than that Abf,9a,6a,pl all have 2.0 on the rear

8. harryvr6 Forum Member

Yes good advice and pictures as stated, but when viewing something as I did without really knowing the ins and outs of knock sensors and taking a quick look under the open bonnet when viewing the car, all I was interested in was seeing the four inlet pipes over the rocker cover!

I don't see how you are going to be able to get inside an engine bay to view the back of a block when giving a car a cursory glance over in a situation like that! If the engine is out of th bay it would be much easier to see a dirty big 1.8 stamp!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  9. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

" but when viewing something as I did without really knowing the ins and outs" Can think of too many replies to this ...but will pass [:o)][:o)]

"If the engine is out of the bay it would be much easier to see a dirty big 1.8 stamp!" then ring ahead and ask if this could be done :thumbup:lol:thumbd::cry:

I'm fooking dying here [xx(]

Its dead easy, if your buying any old car and you just don't know or your unsure, maybe have to bring your daddy with you type........Bring a mechanic or someone who is up to speed on what your looking to speed you hard earned money on ...Simples

Saves any Sad stories coming on forums [:^(][:^(]

SORRY
    :thumbup:

10. harryvr6 Forum Member

I was buying a standard mk2 golf 16v Gti mate, the seller was a middle aged chap who was dead straight and to be honest I had no reason to believe it was anything other than a KR. If I went along knowing it was a converted car I would've been able to do some research, as it happens I just saw the tell tale inlet pipes, KR injection and was happy enough. I didn't go to spot the differences between an abf and a KR ,I don't get what you are being 'off' for mate to be fair, you are an expert fair enough, helpful and informative is great, that's what the forums are for.

11. SimonG Forum Member

Sounds like a bonus to me, good find and ABF already installed :thumbup:

Really? A PL is a 1.8.

But as the Op is unsure, look where the stamp is as pictured earlier and if you're still uncertain post a picture up and we'll be able to tell.

harryvr6 and fasteddie like this.
  12. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Here and highlighted on my oettinger KR 16v block :thumbup: when you look at the front off the car this is how you would see the engine :thumbup:

[​IMG]

fasteddie likes this.
  13. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Sent

Read[:[]

Topic question from normannumeric ....covered answered on topic :)

Reply's also covered answered...advice given [:|]

The end

14. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Really? I stand corrected :thumbup:

You need to quote me in full ;)

"That's why I posted the pic of the rear of the block .... big 1.8 that even Stevie wonder could see
    Doesn't get any easier than that Abf,9a,6a,pl all have 2.0 on the rear" =then PL it will say 1.8
    Which lets you know what timing belt to go for, which answers topic ;)

Can you see now why I only put pictures up at the start to answer the topic question to help the fella