Where to find engine code?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by holty, Nov 4, 2010.

1. holty Forum Member

as in the title guys,
    Basically im rebuilding my spare engine and want to put a better cam in it, its only a 1.3 but i cant get insured on anything bigger [:^(] and its my luck that ill get nicked if i put my ABF lump in that i have waiting for a later date!
    Theres only one engine code that the cam fits into out of a possible three so i just need to find where it says this on the engine

thanx ben

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

On the left hand side, cylinder 1, as you look into the bonnet, there is a horizontal ledge where the head meets the block. It is stamped there.

3. holty Forum Member

sweet, top bloke cheers

4. holty Forum Member

found the code, but it doesn't match any of the 2 letter codes listed in the Haynes book, or am i looking at the wrong thing!!
    the code i found is: 030 103 021B as far as i can make out

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That 030 number is the block casting number, which isn't the engine number.

They cast the blocks with that part number, then decide which model they're then going to use it for, and once the end use is known, it's stamped with the engine code to which we all refer. The casting number is never used as a reference by the dealers.

I've given the code location in post 2. It's just where the head fits on the block, just above the alternator.