Where to get K04 Reconditioned ?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by b5byt, Oct 13, 2009.

1. b5byt Paid Member Paid Member

Hey,

Got a k04 with a small amount of play in the shaft, Can anyone recomend a place to get it refurb'd?

And any idea on the costs?

Cheers

T

2. Classy6 Forum Member

Most places I talked to said the core needs to be replaced completely & in some cases if the housing around the core has cracked.. quite common apparently you need a new turbo completely. Apparently it was around 300.

In the end I bought a brand new unit from Turbocentre UK. Got one for 620 delivered with 2 year warranty, spoke to a guy craig - really helpful, friendly guy - highly recommended.

3. b5byt Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers for that, Yes I remember reading your build thread and you got that nice shiny new turbo!

Well midland turbo are collecting my unit today so Il find out the damage...fingers crossed..

4. b5byt Paid Member Paid Member

A little update :

Got a call from Midland turbo earliar, the housing has a crack in it, bla bla bla long story short 360 gets it as good as new with a warranty from them.

To anyone looking to buy a K04 set up, I would suggest you buy a new turbo, as they all seem to have a 'little bit of play in the shaft' and you cant always see the cracks..

Ah well...could be worse :thumbup:

5. Collie Forum Junkie

a turbo even new will have a small amount of play, this is to allow for heat expansion.

Thats a bit of bad luck having a crack in it mate, Did you pay a lot for it in this condition?

6. b5byt Paid Member Paid Member

I swapped it for my old set up wich would have taken up too much space.

I drove the car it came out of, and did drive fine, sent it off just to be safe, as there was play forwards n back.

Im just pleased I didnt fit it to find it played up shortly after!

7. Collie Forum Junkie

yes , nowt worse than doing the work just to undo it all again