where to get stereo fitted

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Guests, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Guests Banned

does anyone know places in south london that will fit a sony stereo for me. not silly prices, just the head unit....has a kenwood in at the moment

chance to earn yourself some money if you know your 5hit

cheers :)

i would do it myself but i wouldnt know what connectors to get etc [:s] and everytime i have tried i have royally fecked it up..... [:$]

2. jjarvis Forum Junkie

Go to Halfords mate, buy the loom, cheap as chips and peice of urine to do.

If you don't fancy doing it, they'll do it for you for 40

3. Guests Banned

so i just need a vw to sony loom.....remove the kenwood one.

if its that easy ill do it myself

4. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

or bring it round here - I'm off work atm so nowt better to do :)

5. Guests Banned

oh cool! [:D]

well just waiting for some money to clear. ill order up what i need and drop you a pm :)

6. jjarvis Forum Junkie

Not VW loom, just a sony one, explaoin to them that you have an older car without the standard loom, they'll give you the part.

I got one for my new Sony a few weeks back, fitted in minutes - you won't have a problem.

7. Guests Banned

yeah but i have to get a vw to sony loom surely [:s]

8. jjarvis Forum Junkie

All old makes of car have the same wiring as far as I know, only need to get model specific with newer cars that have integrated controls on the steering column etc.

The one you need would be the same part if you had any car over 12 years old

9. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

As yours is a 1991 car it should have ISO connectors as part of the factory loom (my 91 Scirocco did). These will then connect to the loom that comes with your stereo.

The only difference between the VW ISO connectors and normal ISO connectors is that the power wires are reversed (permanent 12v and ignition switched 12v) but most new stereos come with a loom where you can switch the two wires (yellow and red) around.

I think that 1991 cars may have even had both wires as permanent 12v so even less of a problem.

Obviously, if someone has f~*ked with your factory loom then none of the above applies. However, have solder and iron so can be fixed [:D]

As long as your head unit isn't 20 yrs old and you've got the loom that comes with it you shouldn'tneed to buy anything. Drop me a pm if you want to pop over after work.
    Edited by: mr.brown

10. Guests Banned

yeah the stereo in there is only a few years old....its a good kenwood one....i broke it fitting my ipod which i then broke also [:$] :lol:

ill order the stereo up next week and go from there

ill pm you as soon as i know more.....nice one :)

11. KidKoala Forum Member

Recardo, if you have a newish Kenwood in there, then your current ISO connector will work with the Sony no worries!!

The Kenwood ISO connectors allow you to swap the perm and switched live over anyway.

Just get the keys that came with the kenwood, slide them down either side of the cage and pull the unit out, then remove the cage.

Fit the new cage, bend the metal tabs out to secure it, pull the ISO connector through the cage, plug it into the Sony HU, and then slide the HU back into the cage.

Shouldn't take more than 10 mins tbh... I've done it in the dark many a time.

Also, you sure you want to go from a Kenwood to a Sony? IMO Sony HU sound quality is far less desireable than the Kenwood units.

Con

12. Guests Banned

i did want to stay with kenwood but the sony design is so much nicer....i want the totally smooth front with the led display.

i already took the kenwood out before and thats how i broke it....halfords sold me the wrong keys and i got a little impatient.

shame as well coz i just spend 30 on a cd chager to rca cable for my ipod which i can only use with my kenwood [8(]

which reminds me the sony i want has 3 rca outputs and most kenwoods dont

13. KidKoala Forum Member

You can get 'em though :p .

Fair enough if you want to buy a HU because of flashy lights, I prefer functionality...

Considered Blaupunkt etc?

14. Guests Banned

i have but sony goes with my laptop :lol:

15. KidKoala Forum Member

Lol your choice not mine ;)

16. young dub Forum Member

Get a flashy kenwood head unit, sony's sound quality is quite crap! Get a kenwood which is still compatible with your cd-changer to Ipod lead! Btw if mr brown pulls out I can fit for you if you like.

17. Guests Banned

bought the sony one today [:$]

i had a good look at them in halfrauds and the sony just suits me better.

a lot of people dont like sony stuff....i was told not to buy there laptops and i did.....superb bit of kit.

if the sound is crap ill send it back :)

cheers for the offers as well ill let you know how i get on [:D]

18. jjarvis Forum Junkie

I like Sony, have Sony Laptop, Home entertainment, TV, Car Stereo and will be getting phone this week [8D]

19. Guests Banned

i only had a few sony things before but after getting the viao i'd rather have everything matching. they really do know there stuff but people feel like they have to slate them.

got a wicked home cinema amp from richer sounds for a bargin....thats been great too!

20. KidKoala Forum Member

They make innovative products yes, that doesn't mean people slate them for no reason ;) .

For example, the sony MP3 player thats just come out, has background noise when using really expensive headphones! ;)