Where to install Amp in Mk II Golf?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by shinecello, Jan 25, 2004.

1. shinecello New Member

Hi,

I'm just about to do a full install and am wondering what options I have for installing my amp. The amp is 14" long and 10" wide, 2" high.

I really want to retain all my boot space and would like the amp to be 100% hidden if possible.

My car is 100% original so I would not really even want to bolt through the floor and put it under the passenger seat.

I'm not sure I want to build a false floor either.

What are my options?

Is it possible to install the amp under the rear seat? How would I cool it?

Thanks, Rich
    Edited by: shinecello

2. Madbloke Forum Member

First of all what amp is it --- what are you running?
    you may get away with not having any air circulation

Hiding under a rear bench maybe a prob as there is no circulatio under there at all.

Your best bet is gonna be to build a false floor and raise the boot level by 3.5" to 4" (this will allow the heat to come off the amp and filter to the sides).

If you decide you do need air circulation you would be best to put a pc fan into the floor above ro just to the side of the amp or if you dont want a fan maybe use a piece of drilled perspex above the amp?

3. shinecello New Member

It's a Phoenix Gold Tantrum T600.4 I assume these still need cooling?

If I build a false floor I assume that the amp would still need some type of cooling?

4. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

yeh to cool it in a false floor, use computer fans (as these are small and 12volt)

have one at each end, one blowing cool air on to the amp at one end, and sucking the air away at the other end,

tim

5. Madbloke Forum Member

It also depends what subs or speakers your running --- If your running low ohm subs at high volume this will produce more heat than say a set of comps an tweeters -- the more heat produced, the more cooling needed.

Have you thought of flush mounting the amp in a false floor so that the top of the amp sees fresh air?

6. shinecello New Member

I don't really want the amp to show!

If it fits under the passenger seat, how would I secure it? I really don't want to bolt through the floor pan!

Rich

7. Craigster Forum Member

Use the spare wheel well maybe? - Replace your spare with a can of that foam stuff.

Would be wise to put a fan in as well then though.

What about bolting to the underside of the front passenger seat?

8. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

yeh, make a cradle type think, and put it under your seat,

you might find it hard hiding your wires and stuff though?

tim

9. DaySpring Forum Member

Inside the rear cards.

Remove rear cards and make up brackets to support the amp in the void behind them. Hidden and neat.

10. shinecello New Member

It's either the passenger seat or the rear cards.

DaySpring, how would I cool the amp behind these cards? Wouldn't they get too hot here? Obviously I know I can use a fan but even then?

Rich

11. Sp00n Forum Member

It'll be too damp for the amp in the rear cards wont it? bolt it to one of the sides in the boot then make a false side (assuming the mk2 has recess's like the mk3).
    Edited by: Sp00n

12. DaySpring Forum Member

There is a lot of air movement behind the rear cards and if it's a 3 door there should be little moisture behind the cards.

As for mounting the amp under the seats how about Velcro!! Works for sub boxes!
    Other option is to put a piece of thin ply under the carpet and screw/bolt the amp to it clamping it to the carpet.

13. shinecello New Member

DaySpring,

After having another look at my (3 dr) Mk 11 golf there is certainly a lot of room behind those door cards.

Are you sure that there would be enough air circulation behind there? Also how would I run the wires up into the door card, would I have to cut the door cards?

Cheers

R

14. Madbloke Forum Member

I wouldnt put behind door cards as this is an area I would have thought would be prone to damp --- you dont want your amp rusing or short circuiting do you [:^(]

If you do have to put it there then there should be enough air behind them (unless your running really low impedance on a big output amp).
    Run the wires towards the boot then up under the bottom of the door card.

Personelly I'd go for the boot in the passenger side

15. DaySpring Forum Member

Don't know about the back of your car but it's bone dry behind my rear cards, yes you do get the odd bit of moisture due to condensation but you get that in the boot anyway. Huets have used this approach in a few Golfs with no ill effects.

16. Madbloke Forum Member

Suppose it depends if your car is a show car or used all the time -- ie it'll get more moisture in there if its parked up outside than in a warm cosy garage :lol: