Wheres my horse power?

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Collie, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Collie Forum Junkie

Mkiv gti turbo agu. Standard dwnpipe with homebrew decat, s/s ehaust by jetex and generic stg1 remap and smoothed airbox

Been for a rolling road today,at awesome gti, and i am not unhappy with my results just wondering where my bhp is. compared to others with simialr spec.

My figures today were 162.55 bhp @the wheels/176.51 flybhp and 226.29 ft-lbs of torque.

Which is up on last years after my latest mods.

Last years figures 156.9 wbhp 167.78 fly and 205.42 ft-lbs only had map and smothed air box last year.

My new torque figure is great and dont think it can be any better, just wondering if i can find some more horses as other similar cars today were getting about 10 bhp more than me.

I am considering getting a new map on the car, its been on a few years could it be out of date with newer software?

Thanks Collie

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What dyno did they use and how much boost were you running

3. Collie Forum Junkie

dynojet? . I understand threre are different types, but i only know the brand

4. Elf458 Forum Member

i know someone with just a decent air filter, DV and a DV relocation kit so its on the cold side, and they got 170bhp at wheels and 180ft-lbs from a 150bhp lump. so probably think of working colder air into the mix...

5. Collie Forum Junkie

wheres their torque?

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I had a car, MK2 on MS and stock AGU engine, on the rolls recently that did that same thing. 175bhp@5800rpm and 220lbft@3800rpm. The boost dropped off like a stone as soon as the engine achieved peak torque. We tried all sorts to keep the turbo boost hangging on but it hit 15psi and then petered off to 8psi at the red line.
    We even disconnected the boost signal from the actuator and hit 22psi aroud the same place but the boost still dropped off like a stone. Do not know if the turbo was at fault but we gave up and will install a K04 unit.

7. Elf458 Forum Member

was a high mileage rattler, havent seen it about recently mind

8. G-Man Forum Junkie

That won't have been running on a standard map to get 170hp at the wheels!!!

Is yours upsolute remap?? Had one in the family and after research i didn't go for it as it seems that upsolute maps are very good but if you want the figures the other companies would always top trump upsolute on the dyno. By changing the map Collie you won't see massive amounts more power for the extra as your torque seems impressive; i went to a mkivs rolling road day this year and i've got the magazine with various graphs and power outputs the mk4 1.8T's put out with various mods if you want me to scan and send to you :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  9. Collie Forum Junkie

if you could host it on here would be great.

where did you go?

10. Collie Forum Junkie

need to refit my boost gauge and check boost levels,

11. G-Man Forum Junkie

No worries, will get some time during the week but as the graphs are small i'll try and hi-res it and link it on here.

Was done at JKM around Feb this year on the good old dynojet - I had the same response as you when i got mine done - great torque but wheres the power :lol:

Basically they showed me the fueling and it was running horribly rich as the thermostat was stuck open. But got that fixed so need to get the car re-done on the dyno

12. Collie Forum Junkie

ah, maybe i sholud get some proper dyno tuime then as awesome when doing rr days dont do afr etc just a plain run

13. G-Man Forum Junkie

Yeah JKM were really good, generally were doing power runs but you get both power against torque and afr to match for the highest run.

But when your car comes off the roller usually they would tell us how they thought the car ran, be it good or if they suspect a fault.

Think I paid 35 but normally its around 45-50 to a full session including diagnostics i think.

Does your MAF output to around 155g/s?

14. Collie Forum Junkie

yeah maf is good