Which cam for mk2 8v?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by wcrado, Apr 11, 2007.

1. wcrado Forum Member

Hi, wanting to upgrade the 8v a little bit, give it a bit more go and all that, and have seen some decent prices on cams from america. not sure which to go for though!

http://www.autotech.com/prod_engine_camshafts.htm

these guys have a 270degree cam, which they say is smooth enough for the street, at a decent price,

and techtonics

www.techtonicstuning.com/showcategories.asp?catid=29

have a 268degree camshaft at roughly the same price.

which is best? i want to retain as much 'normality' in my engine as possible, so i want a solid idle, and don't want to sacrifice any low-down power at all. i don't want a cam that gives me more power right at the top of the rev range, which means i have to thrash it to notice any difference! ideally i'd like more power throughout the rev range, even more torque.

techtonics also have a 260degree camshaft, but i'm guessing this isn't much higher lift than standard

always remember steve cresswell saying in golf mag that the kent gs2h cam was the best for the golf 8v

anyone know anything about the above cams and which way to go in terms of lift/duration? i've no idea

2. supercharged999 Forum Member

anything less than 268 duration is not worth it ...:clap:

3. Phil. Forum Junkie

I guess it depends on what you want from the cam. You appear to have all the boxes ticked though. In order to gain power and torque further up the revs something has to be sacraficed lower down the revs although you say you don't want power to high up in the revs in which case you'd propably be better off with the std cam or even a 268 like above or from Phillip Walker on here.

I was in 2 minds about cam choice and was undecided about the 268 or 272. Ended up going for the 272 as I was told the 268 would be quite mild.

4. wcrado Forum Member

yeah i'm not bothered about a 'wild' cam, i really want to keep the low-down power, as she pullslike a train and i don't want to lose that! worried any too high-lift cams will just shift the power band higher up in order to gain bhp, but any torque gains will be limited. I guess 268 is the way to go for me then.

i guess i could compromise and go for the 270- what does your car drive like with the 272? have you lost any bottom end? thing is, i've owned a load of valvers, but this is my first 8v and i love the way the power is delivered- hated the way i was forever ragging my 16v's to get the best from them. i really don't want my 8v to end up driving like a valver.

who's this phillip walker? does he do them cheaply? or more to the point, does he do them cheaper than these american websites?

5. philip walker Forum Member

Not strictly true, A 264 deg would be good in a G60 or a turbo engine
    Anyway back to the question

A decent 268 degree cam would be good for a fairly standard 8V GTI good all round performance with good low down torque.
    A decent 272 cam will be more focused in its power delivery, longer duration, bit more overlap suiting a polished ported head with a free flowing manifold.
    Another consideration when choosing a cam is it the cam requires a vernier pully. Some brands of cam need this to get the power claimed by the maufacturer.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  6. wcrado Forum Member

Hi philip,

i do have long-term plans for the car, including a p&p head, 2e bottom end, and possibly 4-branch, but as with all plans i'm not sure how long it will be before i actually do any of these things, if at all! at the moment i would just like to perk it up a bit, without losing any of the 8v's drivability.

so i'm guessing a 268 would be the best option. should i suddenly come into some money overnight and decide to spend all the money on the above mods, would the 268 still give good gains, or would i really need to upgrade to a 272? what i don't want to do is sacrifice too much drivability for the sake of 3-4 more bhp.

how much are the newman 268 cams from you then? and how good are they compared to the usual, i.e kent, TSR cams, etc? finally, how much of an improvement can i expect?

7. gorilly Forum Member

great post i was going to ask the same thing - let me know which you get in the end!

8. KR MAN Forum Member

I'm running a 2E bottom end with P&P head, standard size valves. and have the Newman 272, it does give a bit of a lumpy idle. I do a commute through town to get to work and find the cam is a bit of a pain in traffic everyday. Will be changing to a 268 before long.
    Not really expecting to notice too much power loss, in fact the cam will suite me driving more as the cam will come on song a little lower down the rev range.

9. supercharged999 Forum Member

i am going to change from a Newman 276 to a Kent 270 (GS2H ) on friday , only coz the missus wants a smoother car to drive .[:x]

so a good cam with vernier is soon up for grabs .[:^(]

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I've got a Newman 268 in other wise standard PB 8v GTI - it revs well for an 8v..

Best give him a call, he'll sort you out.