Which Carb/inlet manifold combo to replace digifant ?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by nez, Jun 20, 2011.

1. NEZ

nez New Member

im in the middle of switching to a single carb and tarting up my engine bay too once all the clutter from the injection system has gone, i am aware of all the parts i need to convert but im not up to scratch with what carbs and manifolds fit this engine. also which carbs are the most reliable, on previous cars i have tended to have weber were possible. all help and advise would be awsome, many thanks

2. NEZ

nez New Member

anyone ?

3. walkinginperu Forum Member

If it's the 8v 1.6 or 1.8 then a Weber 32/34 DMTL is the usual choice. Fitted one to mine, easy to tune, easy to set up and they're not too expensive. The carb inlet manifolds are found on Drivers and poverty spec stuff. Hope that helps!

4. NEZ

nez New Member

Hi peru, awsome thats just the answer I been looking for, mine is 1.8 8v, I realise ill have to blank off the Injector holes too. Am I right in saying the 1.6 and 1.8 inlet manifolds are the same and ill need a base plate to fit the weber as the manifolds originally had the pierburg carb ?

5. walkinginperu Forum Member

Best bet is to buy a fitting kit. Available from loads of places including ebay.

6. NEZ

nez New Member

cool, i best get saving, webcom seem a good choice. unless summat comes up on the bay. thanks again

7. Drew21 Forum Member

why?? ;)

I've not heard of anyone converting fueling in this direction. I would think you will want to remove the electrical fuel pump(s) and fit a mechanical fuel pump and related piping, also found on a Driver. I assume on a gti there is a blank bolted to where the fuel pump would be (powered off intermediate shaft). Not sure but you may also need to replace the fuel sender unit, the out and return fuel lines and the filter. Some of the gti stuff may well work fine here however.

I think the fuel delivery rate of an injection system would likely overwhelm a carb float chamber.

interesting project

FYI the factory carb on a Driver is a pierburg 2e2, but most folk get fed up with them and fit a weber 32/34 DMTL (as above). A 1.8 Driver does not have the power of a 1.8 8v gti, some of this will be the gti cam I guess, which you will no doubt be keeping. So you'll end up with a 1.8 Driver plus gti cam, which is quite a common car but generally arrived at from the other direction!!

8. NEZ

nez New Member

Couple of reasons to be fair lol. I fully undertand why you feel it may be a step backwards lol. I quite literally just fancy doing it as a bit of a project, and I also aint a big fan of the clutter in the engine bay. Also who ever converted my golf to the gti engine and box and loom has done a terrible job, far too many bolts workin them selves loose and crap wiring, and I find my self un picking most of his work. So I have decided to do this and de clutter at the same time, there is no rush and ill post pics along the way. Plus having my own business repairing cars im fully aware of the outcome of other peoples crap work lol.

9. Drew21 Forum Member

yeah, I feel your pain. I had a smart car where some numpty had installed an airhorn. To do this he'd used three core flex (stuff your builder would use) and sellotape without a fuse in sight.

Horrific

Enjoy your project...

10. NEZ

nez New Member

Mate its a pain in the rear. I reckon some folk are just so desperate to have a certain mod to there car they will go to any length. They dont realise that to just go the extra mile will make so much more difference lol. Just a quick update - sourced a carb, weber 32/34 dmtl with adaptor plate just awaiting his paypal details. Mrs is off to in laws caravan tomorrow evening so im off to my mates who has tons of spares so hopefully ill be coming away with a inlet manifold and mechanical fuel pump, and what ever catches my eye lol, good times.

11. NEZ

nez New Member

quick update, went for some spares and there was nothing i needed, gutted. still awaiting paypal details for a carb and been waiting for a few days now so i dont reckon i will be having that one, never mind. i have stripped a fair bit off the engine bay ill post some pics below.
    [​IMG]
    wiring removed
    [​IMG]
    partially stripped

12. NEZ

nez New Member

Carb has arrived today and looks fine, complete with adaptor to manifold. And it also came with an k&n air filter bonus ! Manifold paid for and should be here in next couple of days :-)