Which Carb on a 1990 Jetta 1.8CL from Sweden

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Jonsie, May 19, 2011.

1. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi
    I'm new on here and after some info about the carb I am running on my 1990 Jetta. Its all original as far as I can make out but I am having trouble identify the carburetor. I bought the car in Sweden when I lived there and am now restoring her since I have moved back to the UK. I have tried to check the engine code but its all numbers, no letters [:s]
    Any help will be appreciated, I will get a pic up if that helps
    Cheers
    Jonsie

2. danster Forum Addict

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sicne its a euro model it could be the 2EE which is the 2e2 carb converted to electronic injection, or it may even be a proper SPI unit. can you take pictures of the engine and carb/spi with the air inlet parts removed from the top of the carb/spi unit?

4. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys
    Thanks for the reply, I will try and take some photos this week. I have tried to remove the air inlet form the top of the carburettor but the third bolt is right at the back under the skuttle panel and can't get too it. Will have another go though this week.
    Cheers for the help,
    Jonsie

5. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys,
    Not had change to remove the intake from the carb yet but have these pics, hope they help?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the help I hope these photos might be of use

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Simon

7. rubjonny

looks like a proper SPI unit to me, pretty sure the engine code for that one is RP?

8. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

Ok thanks for the info mate. I don't suppose if you have any reviews or know what this type of set up is like for reliability etc. I have had no trouble (touch wood) so far but I don't know if the SPI is any good in comparisson too others hey?
    Thanks

9. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

SPI stands for single point injection, so it's not a carburettor really.

It has a single injector controlled by a basic ECU as far as I know; theoretically allowing better control of air/fuel ratio than any carburettor. Implemented to keep up with emissions regulations as a cheaper alternative to multipoint injection, I would think.

Don't know much about their reliability, but there will be fewer moving parts than a carb, so probably better, generally, depending on how well the electrics/electronics last the course. Inferior to multipoint injection due to mixture distribution limitations.

I would think that coolant temperature sensor degradation/failure would cause it trouble, as it will have some automatic cold-start enrichment which would cause running issues if invoked at inappropriate (real) engine temps.

10. rubjonny

these things are very reliable, but not amazing performance/economy wise when compared to a fully functional 2e2 carb or the full mpi setups.
    pretty much the only thing that goes wrong with these things is the blue temp sender, the flange it sits on plus the lambda probe if fitted