Which Carb to use?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by shaz8389, Sep 7, 2009.

1. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I'm switching engines over in the next week or so (long story) and I'll have both a Pierburg 2E2 a Weber DMTL to make use of.

I'm wanting to run a bit of power (GTi cam/exhaust etc.) on the 1.8 GU and wondering which carb will benefit me more. I'm using the DMTL on my 1.6 at the moment, assuming of course I'll need to re-jet.

The pierburg needs a bit of work (funny idle apparently) so I'll use rubjonny's guide to refurbing it.

Cheers guys.

2. thegave Forum Member

dmtl!

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Is there any specific benefits from the DMTL? Is it something to do with the jets that you can get for it or is there other reasons that go with it? With the cut airbox I've done I found I got a little more throttle response and a throaty sound off it (the throttle response might just be placebo effect of course) but the fuel economy is noticeably higher for some reason (air/fuel ratio maybe.)

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

2 advantages to the dmtl:
    1. rejetting is easier
    2. its easier to fix

any other claims of better mpg or power vs a working 2e2 are wrong, the 2e2 is actually an excellent carb and more than capable, that is if you can get it working :lol:

you might find the jetting is just fine on the std 2e2 carb, as long as its a 1.8 item. Unless its a heavily modifed lump I doubt it will require enough extra fuel that you cant compensate for it.

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Well the 2e2 is going to be off the 1.8 as a standard item so it should be jetted right, if there's nil power advantage from a DMTL then I'll most likely refurb the 2e2 and chuck it on so that I can get rid of the blasted manual choke.

Of course if I wanted serious fuelling it would be Weber 40s anyway so we're not going to extremes here.

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

If you're after an easy life (apart from the "guess the right mixture" manual choke), and fuel bills are a secondary consideration, fit the Weber.

If you want the option of excellent economy, as well as power when required, refurb the Pierburg (thoroughly).

7. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I think my dad will make the 2e2 decision if he sees that. It's a pretty marginal difference when both are running right.

I might refurb then sell the 2e2 seeing as they're somewhat valuable in good condition apparently.

8. thegave Forum Member

i believe the weber would be able to make better advantage of the stuff. i think