Which cordless 1/2" impact gun ?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by MK1jettaGTi, Jan 5, 2012.

1. MK1jettaGTi

MK1jettaGTi Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

As above, I'm looking to buy a cordless impact 1/2" gun.

Anyone bought one or had experience with any particular type, they seem to go for 50 upto 200, I don't want a rubbish one but something that will last and will undo the MK3 strut top mounting....

Cheers.

2. yeha Forum Member

Not usually a fan of Sealey but these are amazing. Work all day long on a charge and will undo tight hub nuts.

3. MK1jettaGTi

Thanks for that, I have the same feelings about Sealey but it seems a good spec for the price.

Do you have one yourself, if so has it lasted ok since you bought it ?

Cheers.

4. holyoake1 New Member

having used sealey ones for many a year and very pleased with them i bought a SNAP-ON one only to find it "blew them away".I use it 6 days a week and quality and torque from it is outstanding! it depends on your budget

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

This question comes up about every 6 months :)

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139205&highlight=cordless+impact

Clarke ones that run from the lighter socket... cheap and cheerful

Sealey, seem to work well and perform reliably at a reasonable price. If I bought again I'd buy one with 2 batteries, but other than that, it's still going strong.

Snap On - Those who have them say they're awesome bits of kit, but cost a good bit more.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  6. Lewis583

Lewis583 Forum Member

+1 on the snap-on guns. Have one myself. Much more practical than having to drag a airline around the workshop.

As said they are expensive though

7. lewp91 Forum Member

we've got a snap-on gun at work, its a beast, gets most pully bolts and hub nuts off :p its nick names the mother... originally the mother f...er :p the new name is a bit more customer friendly as an elderly lady heard us once... ahaha yes there are quite a few an old people who have their cars serviced by a motorsport garage :p

8. lewp91 Forum Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  9. golfpaul Forum Member

Ive got an 18v Ryobi that peforfms well - cheap too.

10. robvdub1 New Member

snapon all the way, you'll never look back, i have a spare new one if interested just needs a battery!!

11. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

Dont buy one with nicad batteries. Think the sealey ones have been the same model for years not sure if there still nicad ? But the new snap on ones are now lithium

12. MK1jettaGTi

Bought the Sealey one in the end, right money and it's very powerful.
    We don't use it a lot as it's only for working on our rally car from time to time but it managed to get the front subframe bolts out where everything else had failed.
    It should also speed up wheel swaps if we're out on an event and get a puncture.
    Looked at the video for the snap on one, looks good but cost a bit excessive for what we need.
    Thanks for the replies.

13. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Makita LXT 18v for me but in all fairness dewalt 18v impact gun i was impressed with (not bad for tommy walsh and handy andy stuff) but you get what you pay for in this game my only advise is go for lithium ion and not NIMH baterys and a half decent name.

14. darren182 Forum Member

i have a sealey gun and a snapon gun, i prefer the sealey gun and wish i had never brought the snap on gun, ive had the sealey gun for 6 years and its never missed a beat snap on gun 1 year and ive had it repaired twice already, thats my personal expierence!

15. vee-dub90 New Member

18v snap on all day long

16. barny Forum Member

Snap On have a new one out, details not known but 700lbft was talked about!

17. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Snap-on for me, 18v 1/2" for the car and 14v 3/8th`s for working on the bikes.

I`ve had the 1/2" for 8 years now and it`s never missed a beat, use the 3/8ths daily for over a year with no bother either..

18. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I have a clarke one, it was about 160 quid and worth every penny! Undone top mounts, wheel nuts, strut bolts on a mk4,

19. MK1jettaGTi

Quick update on the Sealey CP2450 we bought.

It packed up.....

After 6 weeks of fairly infrequent use, it wouldn't unscrew the lid off a bottle of milk. We conitacted A1Plant where we bought it from, they asked us to do a couple of checks and agreed it sounded faulty. They got in touch with Sealey who arranged to pick it up from the warehouse on Monday 19th March. It was delivered back to me on the 22nd March with a new battery pack and a torque test certificate showing it to be putting out the correct torque.

They reckoned a faulty battery was to blame, I tried it on a CV joint nut on the MK3 and it almost ripped the joint apart. Ecellent service although shame it failed in the first place.

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

Good to hear they fixed it. Mine is still going after 5 years, although I've got a compressor now so it gets occasional use rather than being chief nutcracker.