Which Digital SLR (Bought a Nikon D3100 SLR)

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by JettaTDi, Aug 23, 2011.

1. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Hi guys you've probably answered this a hundred times, I've had a Panasonic Lumix point and shot camera for years.

I'm now looking at Digital SLR's, I don't have a large budge 500 - 700 mark.

Basically I haven't a clue what to look for spec wise etc.

Any suggestions

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Without wishing to be patronising, perhaps you might consider looking at second-hand stuff, which will probably get you better kit than new at that price range.

What sort of things are you aiming to photograph? Just general stuff, or do you have something particular in mind? Such as portraits/motorsport/birdwatching/etc

Depending on what you might want to photograph, will perhaps decide what type of lens you might need.

Do you know anyone with a camera of the sort you'd like? One of the best ways is going out with someone and watching them and having a go yourself. I think you're rather a long way from me, or I'd happily let you have a go with mine.

You can very easily get addicted to photography and spend far too much money on your hobby!

It might be a good idea to go for a lesser camera than a DSLR in the first place, such as my second camera, a Canon G12, which allows you full manual control, can take pictures in RAW etc, and will give you some good experience of a 'real' camera, without you having to spend an awful lot of money, then find you don't really take to using a DSLR

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Should have bought mine. Sadly now sold. [:^(] But gone to a good home, another member on here.

4. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Have a butcher's at smudge's thread on his step-up from a point & shoot, if you haven't already.
    The camera he's chosen is part of a burgeoning new sector in the market, and has portability on its side. I'm intrigued.

Before deciding on way or the other, it could be useful to ask yourself where you want this step-up to take you -
    Are you mostly wanting more manual control?
    Are interchangeable lenses a big factor for you?
    Do you see yourself shooting much long-lens stuff (motorsport, wildlife, etc)?
    Do you have friends that you might be able to borrow lenses from if you bought into a particular system?

The answers to questions like these should help determine what's right for you.
    Bear in mind that the best camera is the one you have with you - get too laden-down with gear and you'll rarely take it out ;)

5. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Just went and bought a Nikon D3100, not tried it yet, will post up my efforts in time.

6. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Good brand! Let us know what you think of it when you've had chance to play with it.

7. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Cheers Stella just ordered a vr 200mm lense as well, going to RAF Leuchars next weekend so hopefully I'll get some good photos.

I used to be a Graphic Designer in my past so looking forward to bringing my creative side out of retirement.

8. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

A couple of pics I've taken still not up to the standard as most of you guys, but I'm learning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  9. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

They look good! :)

How you getting on with it?

10. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Yeh, for a complete novice like me its really easy to use, it even has a guide button that will take you through certain shots you might want to take.

11. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Pictures are looking very good so far. Look forward to seeing more. Don't forget to enter the competitions.

12. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Cheers Stella, got my other lens through yesterday, really looking forward to getting out and about with it.

13. mark25 Forum Junkie

That 200 VR lens gives awesome pictures on sunny summer days, like kids surfing on the beach, etc. It's a good allround cheap lens (so you can risk going in the sea, etc with it), but on bright day the shots are just peachy. Use it at 75mm for protraits.