which engine is te 90hp tdi

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by cordy2016v, Aug 28, 2008.

1. cordy2016v Forum Member

hi guys just quick question how do you tell a 75hp tdi from a 90hp tdi. i've been looking on autotrader and such like and cl and gl models seam to have both engines. does any one know the right engine code for the 90hp tdi. cheers dudes:p
    edit on te mk3 golfs i mean

2. NormanCoal Forum Member

if you can see a pic of the engine bay in the for sale adverts, then the TDI is easy to spot as there are two intercooler pipes that go from the the back of the engine bay to the front by the battery - the engine code for the 90bhp TDI engine is 1Z, I beleive the AAZ is the non intercooled TD lump

3. cordy2016v Forum Member

so is the difference between the to, ones got an IC and one hasnt?

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i thought the cl was the 75 td and the 90 was the gl tdi???

edit: correct, one is a td, one is a tdi

5. cordy2016v Forum Member

thats what i thought. but want to make sure whats what. but i dont wana buy a 75hp motor as that would be wrong lol. the 90hp sound a lot more fun lol

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

when i test drove both in a passat estate (L reg ish) it was obvious, the TD just gets noisier - no extra speed just gets louder where as the TDI actually speeds up HTH

7. cordy2016v Forum Member

cool all i gota do know is find a good one near me. valve what tey like for overtaking ave te got any ingear go in them?

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I saw a later Mk3 Golf recently and it had a different code - but was deffo a 90bhp version.

Three digits.

9. NormanCoal Forum Member

The easiest way to tell a TDI against a TD is whether there is a throttle cable present or not, the TDI is fly by wire, so you wont see any throttle cables on these

10. cordy2016v Forum Member

now im starting to get lost lol. thought only new motors had fly by wire 2000 on wards!!

11. cordy2016v Forum Member

chris was the code arg?

12. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

90hp Tdi engines

cordy,

Two different 90hp Tdi engines were used in the mk.3. The first was '1Z', which was followed by 'AHU'. If you're looking at the actual car, check the label (service booklet/under the mat in the luggage compartment) for the engine code and output (in Kw). 90hp is 66Kw. If you look at the recent thread about changing glow plugs, the engine pictured isn't a Tdi, but a TD, probably code AAZ.

Apart from the d/b/w and intercooler, there are a lot of differences betweeen the Tdi engines and the other diesel engines. The difference in power comes from electronically-controlled direct injection, using a different cylinder head, with clamped-in two stage injectors, and different pistons. They use the 02A transmission, with hydraulic clutch and cable gearshift. The usual code for this, visible on a pad near the selector mechanism, is CTN. Another de**il is the twin turned-down rear exhaust pipes.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Dougie got in with the answer above but thanks to i.a.n.b, it's doubly confirmed as a AHU 90bhp.

Looks virtually identical to the 90bhp 1Z in my Passat estate, with a few ancillaries in different places. Exhaust and inlet manifolds and pipes in particular look the same.

14. cordy2016v Forum Member

thanks peeps i've got some idea what to look for now:)

15. shane d Forum Member

tunability

hi all. the only thing about the aaz conversion is that the wiring in is simple towards the tdi and also it's relatively easy to get up to 120 bhp from them with sprinter intercooler and custom aneroid pin and kkk24 turbo.

16. jamie.72

jamie.72 New Member

quick way to tell is the idi diesel (indirect injection)will not have a plastic cover over the pump,where the di diesel (direct injection) will,
    idi:1y non turbo
    idi:aaz, turbo

di:aey non turbo
    di:1z/ahu/ale/afn/avg, turbo
    and then you move on to pd diesel

17. jamie.72

jamie.72 New Member

the di diesel is the 90 hp or 110hp

18. jamie.72

jamie.72 New Member

quick way to tell is the idi diesel (indirect injection)will not have a plastic cover over the pump,where the di diesel (direct injection) will,
    idi:1y non turbo
    idi:aaz, turbo

di:aey non turbo
    di:1z/ahu/ale/afn/avg, turbo
    and then you move on to pd diesel

19. shane d Forum Member

so which one has the plastic cover on again??? :-) :-) :-)

20. turbotommy Forum Member

1Z has a plastic cover.