Which fluid for Mk2 auto box?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by gbk, Apr 10, 2013.

1. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

I've got a Mk2 with auto box and I need to change the fluid. I've only had the car a couple of weeks, so not needed to do it before. The dipstick shows it as being a greeny colour, which was a surprise as I was expecting red. Can I change it with Dexron II/III which I think is red? Will it be a problem when mixing with what's left in the torque converter?

If I need green, what should I get?

Should I also change the oil in the final drive (not even sure what this is, just saw it mentioned in the haynes!!)?

Cheers!
    Graham

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hmm it should be dexron 2/3 so red! once the pan is removed most of the oil should be removed. if you're worried you could fill it with atf then run it a bit then drain and refill again

the final drive has its own oil, how you drain it im not sure the bentley only shows the filler on the side! id assume it has a drain plug in the bottom. it says you dont really need to change it regularly, it uses its own type of oil SAE 90W hypoid GL-5, Mil-L-2105B. similar to normal gearbox oil but different spec (manual box is SAE 80W GL-4)

replace the strainer and sump gaskets, refil then you should be good to go

3. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers.

I've got the necessary strainer and gaskets, just a bit confused on the oil. The box isn't changing up until it's been driven for a while and is hot, so guessing it's needs new fluid.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah what i would do then is drain it, clean pan and strainer then refit with old seals and a fresh lot of atf. run it for a bit then drain and it all again to ensure all old oil is cleared out, then finally clean and refit with the new seals and refill :)

i think all the box internals are moving with the car just sat in D anyway arnt they? if so just runnign engien for a bit should swirl the atf about and catch all the old fluid