which flywheel and clutch?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by skint_golfer, Dec 27, 2008.

1. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

Hello all!

I got an abf to swap into my mk2 but not the matching box so was going to use my spare 16v rod change toffee box.

Question is which flywheel and clutch combo do I use? Abf fly with mk3 clutch or KR fly with mk2 clutch?

I'm after the easiest option as I have both fly's and a new luc clutch I got free for a kr.

Ideally I would swap to the mk3 box and cable change but as I cant find a decent one for fair money then thats on the back burner for a while.

thanks

2. rupe Forum Member

you use the ones that match the box your using

3. skint_golfer

ahh... cheers for that couldn't figure out if I matched clutch/fly/engine to the box or if I had to match the box/fly/clutch to the engine... hope that made sense [:s]

that makes it cheaper too as I got given a free new clutch in the boot of the mk2 scrapper the box came off!

are there any other "consumables" to replace at the same time? dont want to have to pull it apart again because I missed anything!

If this go's right I could have mad fire breathing, tarmac rippling ABF power as a birthday prezzie to myself! :lol: :clap:

4. rupe Forum Member

you could change the crank seal on the engine behind the clutch setup and on the box fit a new pushrod bush and seal and the input shaft seal.

5. rupe Forum Member

oh and if your really keen you could change the output flange seals on the box too, which is what i'm off to do now [|)]

6. 87 UMN

87 UMN Forum Member

i have a 16v cable box for sale done less than 70k i used the cable on my mk1 so i didnt need box.....think i have the flywheel too as i bought a lightened one? interested will have to be posted as on isle of man?

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

just be aware the 16v rod box has a larger input shaft than an 8v one, so if your clutch kit is an 8v one the friction disc wont fit.

8. skint_golfer

I dont remember mentioning 8v anywhere [:s]

as far as I'm aware the clutch I have is a 16v one and I know the box and fly are as they came off a mk2 I broke.

cheers for the help chaps :thumbup:

9. skint_golfer

Thanks for the offer and I'll keep it in mind although I'd rather get one closer to home as it'll keep the price down a lot! good excuse for me to take the missus on a holiday though... :lol:

10. rubjonny

I said if your clutch kit is an 8v one ;)
    would be silly to assume its a 16v clutch without checking :p

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  11. skint_golfer

Yes you did say "if", I concour. At this point if I were American or ill educated or both I would say "my bad" however as I'm English and made it past 10 within the education system I'll settle for "woops, sorry" [:D]

I guess a quick call to gsf with the part number tommorrow is on the cards, cheers for that :clap:

12. rubjonny

just try to fit the friction disc on the 16v gearbox input shaft, if it fits nice its a 16v one, if not its an 8v one :)