Which format is best? MP3, VAW, WMA...

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Imteyaz, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Imteyaz Forum Member

Hi Guys,

Recently bought a new Pioneer 8600MP CD / MP3 Player that also plays VAW and WMA files. My question is this, what is the best format to use to minimise the loss of quality of sound? You can get a silly amount of tracks on a single CD now and if your're gonna do that, I thought you might as well use the highest quality, only I'm a novice so I don't have much of a clue as to which one to choose...

BTW, the Pioneer unit has it's own plug in mic for time alignment setup and it really makes a difference to the sound in the car, really impressed compared to my old basic CD unit.

TIA,

Imteyaz. [:D]

2. Baj MK2 VR Forum Member

I would use MP3 as it has no copy protection. some player will not play secure WMA. also mp3 has a highr sample rate which gives better quality.
    This is only from what i have tried you may be told differant.

3. mbh69 Forum Member

mp3 192k minimum or you'll be damaging speakers

4. eloquent Forum Member

A lot of my mp3's are 128k. How do these damage speakers?

BTW I don't have an mp3 head-unit, so my CDs are burnt to the normal 80min versions. Would the 128k files still do the same damage in this format?

5. mbh69 Forum Member

192k is cd quality less than this and you risk clipping (distorting)
    128 can be ok but if you are downloading the volumes etc can varie alot and can damage if they are giving poor signals like having your stereo on too loud but it's happening at lower volumes

mp3's can be great but if your not doing them yourself make sure there up to scratch

6. nateo147 New Member

Yep 192k Mp3's are your best bet as mbh69 said the CD quality bit is correct, you should check all tunes are upto standard and if not use a program like Mp3 producer to reasign a decent bit rate if not upto scratch!