Which Golf MK2 Coilovers? Weitec Gt KW etc?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by shiggins92, Jun 12, 2013.

1. shiggins92 Forum Member

Im still a little unsure on which coilovers to go for on my golf mk2.

Ive found some KW inox v1 for 708 and then Weitec GT for 468. Is there anything else to look at and is there a big difference between KW and weitec? Also anyhere cheaper?

2. Admin Guest

There are plenty of options around, I have heard good things about Gaz I think they may squeeze into your budget. Weitec never used them but KW v1 are ment to be very good. I run H&R and love them, if you can try before you buy. It's a big investment.

3. shiggins92 Forum Member

My friend is running KW v1 in an Audi TT and they seem to be really good. I had a look at Gaz Gold but they are about 1000 and i really don't want to stretch past kw v1 money which is 700.

What H&R are you running and how much are they?

4. lard44 Forum Member

I ran Weitecs on one of my old motors and loved them - not too hard, not too soft, not 'crashy' in the corners at all.

Have heard very good things about KW v1s as well - if you've got the extra 250-odd then I'd plump for them - I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for where suspension is concerned...

5. Admin Guest

I did not realise Gaz were so much! I the HR ones are more than the KW, the KW seem very good value for the money.

6. Chrisrpal Events Team

I have GAZ GOLD coilovers on mine, best coilovers I have ever owned. I have had Weitec GT ones before but the GAZ ones win hats down.

GAZ were used in the 2012 BTCC and are fully serviceable not like other brands when the shocks start leaking you throw them away.

Also I found after sales support really good, I visited the factory in essex and was very impressed. I know GAZ costs alot but well worth it.

If you spend alot of money on brake upgrades and bigger engine why would you skimp on suspension?

10 out of 10 for GAZ :thumbup:

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Gaz Gold are the top of their range.

As with any suspension setup, the best one depends on what you're going to do with it. If it's a road car then you want something fairly soft-sprung and compliant to keep the tyre in contact with our bumpy and uneven roads. For track it's a whole different answer.

My dad and his mate built a rally Astra for the tour of Mull about 3 or 4 years ago. They had to finish the job on the Gaz Gold coilovers where the brackets hadn't been welded on properly (the welder had missed the seam). No time to send them back and get the factory to fix them.

8. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

What do you use the car for? Makes a big difference to the choice!

9. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

With all due respect, there was no cars on the grid using GAZ dampers in the BTCC. The KW's are also rebuildable, as are most decent damper brands..

10. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I'll put a shout in for Konis...

Had them on my daily Mk2 for three years, then the car stood (outside) for a further three, and I've run then in my Mk3 daily for a year now.

This was them last week when I replaced the top mounts. Just wiped over with a dry microfibre. The threads look dirty, but that's just copper grease that I apply to protect them. Once cleaned off they are like new still and the collars adjust by hand (once the locking ring is loosened with the C-spanner). Rebound adjuster still works fine too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I had to cut the top mount off, because I didn't have the Mk2 slotted-nut tool to remove it... [:$]

The springs could do with a rub-down and re-paint, but overall I'm pretty chuffed at their condition, proving that paying for quality is the way. I've had cheaper coilovers with seized adjusters/cracked collars in under a year...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  11. shiggins92 Forum Member

I had my heart set on KW V1 last year but this year they jumped in price to 700 and they were around 550.

These seem really cheap: Weitec GT at 468

http://www.tsr-performance.com/webshop/parts-by-category/suspension/weitec/gt-coilover-kit/vw/golf-mk2/vw-golf-mk2-weitec-gt-coilover-kit-8-83-11-91-13280002-2wd-8-83-11-91/

Do you think they are the same level of the KW V1?

I have done one track day and that's what made me want coilovers as it was sinking into the ground on corners haha Ive also got VMAXX (cheap) coilovers on my Audi A3 and never again! They are awful and crashy. So i will be doing 2 track days a year but i mostly use it on weekends driving pretty hard.

12. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

Last I looked chris had gaz gha same as me and not gaz gold?. I got them from monster-gaz-suspension 510 all in and came with new topmounts aswell. Very good value for money and quality is all I can say.