which head gasket?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by 8vGtiMk2, Jun 21, 2009.

1. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

going to get a head gasket kit from gsf a Victor.R set but just wanted to know if there is another head gasket out there to raise compression a bit?

2. mk2vivs Forum Member

mk4 golf metal h gasket youll pick em up from the dealers cheap enough they raise it .5 not a right lot

3. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

every bit counts i guess... now sorry to be annoying but is the metal gasket better than the standard one i will get in the kit?

4. mk2vivs Forum Member

some people have had slight oil weeps with the metal one but thats only what id heard.must be fine as its what vw fit to all the 2.8 24v 4mo engines.When mated to the 12v it raises the cr by half a point.If you speak to some cylinder head guys they might be able to advise if they can do anything with the head to also raise that comp a slight further other then that youd need to go high comp pistons
    i used a victor reinz on mine didnt bother with the mk4 one although i did have one and it did match/mate up
    What is it your after doing?

5. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

nothing special, just stripping the motor and replacing worn out parts before putting it into my mk2. I am not going to fit a turbo or supercharger just spice it up a bit with cams 6 branch manifold get lighter pulleys lighten and balance the crank/flywheel/clutch.

With regards to the cams... i don't want to turn it into a honda (no offence honda drivers) just want to get a bit more power throught the rev range. I have been looking at either 263 or 267/8?

6. mk2vivs Forum Member

people have had good readings from the schimmel cams and of course the schrick/dr 268's ive got some crane cams for sale that are 268's billets never been used have a tad bit more lift then the schricks i think about 11.6mm of lift.ideally they would be suited with a flowed head and some uprated valve springs but should give good power

7. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

i am going to keep things simple for now and just get the engine in the mk2 up and running and see how it runs standard. Thanks for the offer mk2vivs

8. mk2vivs Forum Member

no probs