Which injectors and Timing..it's all gone wrong..

Discussion in '8-valve' started by sotty, Mar 1, 2010.

1. sotty New Member

Hi Guys

I have built myself an 2l 8v for my mk1 golf gti on kjet injection which is fitted with a 203 tsr cam.

My first question is regarding any information regarding the setup of this cam as i have no supporting documents. I am specifically after what kind of advance im supose to be running on the vernier???

The 2E bottom end is fitted with a PB head and seems like the injectors are leaking so im going to replace them. It seems like the injectors that are supplied with the top hat style end dont seem to fit into the PB head. Does that mean i have to purchase the latter mk2 type injectors without the top hat???

Any help would be great.

2. alexisblades99 Forum Member

kjet injectors are going to need the kjet injector seats rather than the PBs electronic injector seats. use a (14mm i think) hex key to unscrew them from the head.

if you stick with the top hat (air shroud) kjet injectors you should have a better idle, just make sure you get the seats to match from VW.

i don't know about the cam timing as it's a job i still haven't done yet, but i believe setting it to equal lift on overlap is the right place to start.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

The top hats themselves won't fit down the hole in the PB head.

You can either take the top hats off (I'm currently running a car like that) grind the lip on them down till they fit in the injector bore, or get the hole bored out to the right size (which is a pain if the head is already fitted).

There are two different threads on 8v / 16v kjet injectors. Make sure you get the right ones, or they won't fit your injector pipes.

When you get it running, start it at the standard timing for cam and ignition, then take it to a rolling road for a proper set up.

I'd say you'll need a 16v WUR for that setup, to help it run rich enough.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

later 8v inserts work with the top hat injectors, they got the top hat injectors fitted from the factory. otherwise remove the hats, this converts em to early 8v k-jet injectors.

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

The inserts work, but the top hat doesn't fit down the hole in the head, if it's a later digi head anyway. Earlier ones might be different.

6. rubjonny

dunno, late 8v kjet heads used the same top hat injectors. i assumed late kjet head = digifant, but maybe not

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

I thought that too, until I tried to put the injectors in a digi head. It might not even be that simple. The head I had was a VAG service head that I bought as new old stock. It has G60 sized ports and had 39.5 inlet valves (now changed to 40mm), so who knows if the injector bores were different too.

Have you got a spare digi head to measure the injector bore, and I'll measure the kjet one that came off?

8. rubjonny

i binned all my 8v stuff long ago, but if i get any to check I'll have a look!