Which Ipod to get

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Steve B, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Steve B Forum Junkie

I am looking at buying an Ipod,

basically i have an alpine headunit which has full speed access for ipods, this means the ipod is the fastest easieest way to get music onto my headunit as im fed up of burning dvd' s for it all the time. it also is faster to search than the dvd, far faster to load and generally better.

anyway. im looking on ebay at second hand ipods, its pretty much going to be stored behind the dash all its life permanantly connected to the headunit which also charges it when in use. the only time it will come out of the car is to add more music to it etc.

so currenly i can store about 8gb on one disk for my headunit but i can never find enough songs so im thinking a nano might be enough however im after the cheapest option with the highest storage.

i dont really care if its colour screen im certainly not fussed about it having any feaures to speak of. all it has to have is the dock on the bottom that allows it to be used on things such as stereo docks that you can get. i.e. compatible with my alpine. also it coild do with being quite hardy as it will be in the car. but im also really not fussed if its a huge brick! as it will be well out of sight.

what type of ipod would you reccomend for this purpose (i really dont know anything about them). whats the best generation to have to use the dock correctly?

any pifalls to avoid?

cheers

2. AndyRhino

AndyRhino Forum Junkie

well the old nanos are max 4gb, the classics are 30+gb (the old ones are 30/60 gb and the new ones are 80/160gb!!!) , my gf has one and its good. i have no experience about docking it but if you can afford it its certainly the largest ull get. i have a new nano 8gb and i like that. depends on how much u wanna spend, as size is no matter and u want a big hard drive id defo go for the classic as they are better value for hard drive size. good luck!

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

ipod touch ftw

4. ivegotagti Forum Member

If you buy an old one, then leave it plugged in all the time it will likely die quite soon.

Unless you run it out once a month and then fully charge it, they die!

I have the 30gb video and would fully reccomend it unless you have stupid amounts of music.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  6. Steve B Forum Junkie

couldnt really justify a touch for the purpose, and due to worries about compatibility with the old ones, i went for an ipod video 30GB cant imagine i will fill it, not with good mucic anyway lol.

was 80 on e-gay with some kind of tv dock thing.

ive got a gti do you think the batery will be ok contantly plugged in on the 5th gen ipod video thing (is the ipod video the ipod classic? i.e. the same thing?)