which is best Mk4 2.0 gti or the Mk4 1.8 t gti

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by cossiemark, Jan 15, 2012.

1. cossiemark Forum Member

Right looking for a Mk4 gti but not sure which model to buy we have been looking at the 2.0 litre and the 1.8 Turbo but unsure which is best. I'm sure every one has there own opinion but which is best on miles per gallon and which will be the best engine for milage as these cars are never low milage cars unless your very lucky and you have loads of money to spend. I am interested in a 1.8 turbo but it has done 140000 no survice history is that to high for that engine and a 2.0 litre with 169000 but with some history up to 87000. So any info would be most appreciated.
    cheers mark

2. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

The 2.0 mk4 GTI is to put it politely, a bag of w@nk! Whoever deemed that an asthmatic 2.0 8v with only 115 bhp, in a car weighing as much as a mk4 does, should wear a GTI badge, should have been sacked! They're an embarrassing joke

fasteddie likes this.
  3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

you dont say how much is you budget is that the best place to start
    what sort of miles do you do in a week

have a think about mk4 gt tdi's as well

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I wouldn't touch anything with no history.
    My 1.8t has done 140k and it's fine.
    2.0 8v is just awful.

5. cossiemark Forum Member

My budget is about 1000 and the car is 4 my wife she works for the nhs and here job is changing and she will have to do home visits so milage could be anything upto 100 a week

6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i dont think you'll get one for that
    is a 4 door polo to small for you see lot's of them about that price even one's with 50k to 80k on the clock
    have you looked on gumtree

7. cossiemark Forum Member

polo is to small m8 but been offered a 1.8 turbo full service history but got 154000 on the clock but if won't come any lower than 1250 and i abou afford that much at the mo[:^(]

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Ive got a great 18t on 180k. Don't touch the 2.0, with a grand I'd be looking for a a mk3

9. jamesa Forum Junkie

We have had a 2.0 8v AZJ engined (51 plate) MkIV GTI for the past 5 years and `on the whole` it has been fine.

Whilst I agree it`s not a proper GTI it performs well enough; there have been no major breakages, overall economy is good, long distance trips are comfortable. It is now on 120k and has the original battery, clutch, suspension and exhaust (apart from the cat).

It has taken some abuse and has been lacking some TLC, however ... the regular servicing has kept it sound.

10. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

1.8T all the way. But as said above, a good one will not cost a 1000.

I'd say atm, a nice looked after one will set you back around 2500 - 3000.

I paid 4000 for mine with 49.000, full history, garaged, ect. I cant fault it at all, i love it, and its been even better since i remapped it :thumbup:

Just remember, a well looked after one will look after you :thumbup:

11. jetsetter New Member

1.8t is a great car. 2.0 is not worthy of a Gti badge but 2.0 is alot better on insurance so is worth considering if insurance is a issue. I have had the two and yes 1.8 T is quicker and more tunable but dont dismiss the 2.0 as a trim level it is good. Will not go like a 1.8 T but still smooth and a still a Golf!

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Even a low Mike one will need to common golf bits done, they're all getting old now unfortunately

13. jasongtr Forum Member

with a grand id be looking at a 1.8t passat if you want a bigger (than polo) vw, or an Audi A3, you should get a golf but might need a few quid spending, best to get one that looks worse but has the mechanicals looked after, i mean a dented wing wont leave you stranded and body parts are cheap if bought used in the right colour

14. vr6_280 Paid Member Paid Member

People are overly harsh on the 2.0 IMO

It depends what you are looking for in a car. I have just recently bought my mk4 after having many Audi's, VR6's and Golf GTI's in the past an I preferred after test driving a few 1.8T's the 2.0.

Best advice, test drive and read up on issues and make you own mind up. Most people who slate the 2.0 have never had one or given it a chance. The 1.8T is the better one if you want to spend money making it faster, as there isn't much you can realistically do for big bhp increases on a non turbo car.

I like the drive on the 2.0 and cheaper parts - no dual mass flywheel, turbo, intercooler - But again I did just come from an Audi A4 TDI nightmare that cost me over a grand and still wasn't right!

I think of it like this, the original mk1 - non turbo, mk2 - non turbo, mk3 - non turbo ... for old school feel 2.0

mk5 - turbo, mk6 - turbo ... 1.8T more modern feel

15. cossiemark Forum Member

sorted now bought 2 mk4 gti turbo's a 5 door and a 3 door

16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

or a grand??

i have to be honest i have been eyeing up an 8v for simple and reliable motoring

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  17. cossiemark Forum Member

no m8 not that lucky 1 for 1100 and the other for 1750

18. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

You lot are all missing the point of the question. It sounds to me like he needs a decent car that will be able to do quite a bit of mileage, to a limited budget.

The 1.8T is not going to fulfill these needs. As much as i agree the 2.0 8v isnt a proper GTI, the engine is tried and tested. And dates back a very many years. Its a fairly reliable lump, and this is what his wife will need working for the NHS.

Go for a decent 2.0 8v. She doesnt need blistering performance. It will be cheaper to find a decent low mileage example. But definitely try and find a lower mileage example.

19. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Mk4 2.0l 8v only had gti badge in UK as far as i know and was Gt or Gl in other markets

Deffo not a Gti but is reliable sturdy car

20. hammermike New Member

I've got a 1.8 T on 194k :)