Which K03 Hybrid? Advice please

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Skool, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Skool New Member

Looking to replace my K03s with a hybrid to max out the standard bottom end.

Had my current mapped AUQ/K03s/Emerald setup in my mk2 for nearly 15 years. Its been well reliable and a lot of fun but think another 60-70bhp from a ported mani and hybrid would be a noticeable improvement.

Been looking at the Turbo-rebuild.co.uk hybrid for £650 and from i can tell looks pretty much the same spec, if not identical as the the BBT k280/300 but £200 cheaper?! Anyone using one of the these or know someone that has? Would be interested to hear people thoughts about the company and just K03 hybrid setups in general.

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I know a couple of people running K300’s with over 300bhp, they’re super happy with them and go like stink, obviously!

I’ve not looked into them personally so can’t comment

3. Skool New Member

Yeah i can't find much info regarding build quality etc about the turbo-rebuild ones but i was thinking the BBT turbos might just be rebranded versions?

Ive considered doing rods and a GT28rs or similar for 320-350bhp as i think that would be a perfect power level for a road driven Mk2 with a boost by gear setup but all the extra cost doesn't really make sense to me.

Cheers for the reply.

4. Savagesam

I’ve got a Garret GT28 something ready to go on my car when it comes to it. And can agree, it’s not cheap. I only did it because I got a deal off a mate.

you’d want to do rods on anything you put in over 250bhp to be safe, I know I am.

Fairly sure BBT are the ones who came up with the K300

5. Skool New Member

Pretty reluctant to split the engine to be honest as its still relatively low milage at about 90K and runs sweet as a nut with no oil usage but know what your saying about the rod lottery.
    I was planning on getting the torque limited to around 280/290ft/lb whilst being mapped.
    It been over 260ft/lbs safely since i got it first done in '06

Are you doing Maxspeeding Rods? Been tempted to pick up a set of those with the tapered ends for standard 19mm pistons and have a go at doing it myself. My mechanical knowledge pretty limited although it doesn't look too difficult with the right tools?!

Maybe BBT were the originators but from what I've read turbo-rebuild have been around a while and supply a lot of companies with bits??

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  6. Skool New Member

Also..what you doing about a manifold on the GT28? Seems like alot of the affordable ones have clearance issues on a mk2?

7. Savagesam

19mm max speeding rods don’t fit, I’ve bought a BAM engine for the 20mm pistons. The 20mm max speeding rods fit.

It came with the top mount manifold and it fits fine, plenty of space.

Not massively difficult, but it’s not a quick job.

Maybe that is the case, as I say, I’ve not looked into it.

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Stay away from "turbo rebuild".

BBT hybrids, can flow air, which renders your stock botton end not suitable.

60 to 70 bhp more is pointless target.

The hybrids, tend to flow more air from usually 500 rpm higher than standard. This also means more torque in the midrange and more on the top end at 1.3 to 1.4 bar, where the little K03s starts to choke on its exhaust fumes after 5000 rpm.

9. Skool New Member

Well aware of the K03s limited top end ability. More top end power is the main reason i'm considering doing it.

I would of thought moving the power band up the rev range would put less strain on the rods?

Appreciate your feedback fellas!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020