Which MK4 based Petrol VAG cars had 4wd? And which is the best buy?

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by was8v, May 16, 2008.

1. was8v Forum Member

Looking at my next car (currently Corrado VR6) and want something with near the power but more traction and safety. Spending a max of 5 grand. Don't want something too big so Mk4 golf size is good (I know an A4 V6 quattro can be had, but I think its too big).

So, which UK Market Petrol VAG cars based on the mk4 Golf floorplan had the haldex 4wd system?

So far (general price from autotrader for a year 2000/01 car) I've come up with:

Golf 4Motion 2.8 V6 - 5000 (25mpg, 7.1 0-60)
    Bora 4Motion 2.8 V6 - 4500
    Golf R32 3.2 V6 - too much

Audi A3 150/180 1.8T Quattro Sport - 5000 (29mpg, 7.6 0-60)
    Audi S3 225 1.8T Quattro - too much
    Audi TT 3.2 V6 Quattro - too much
    Audi TT 180 1.8T Quattro - too much

Skoda Octavia 150 1.8T 4x4 - 3500 (31mpg, 9.1 0-60)

Have I missed any off? I know in euro markets they did a Leon 4x4 etc but I'm interested in UK market cars only.

Does the Audi A3 1.8T Sport Quattro outhandle the Golf 4 motion as standard?

The Octavia 4x4 seems like the bargain - however the suspension is higher and it would need a remap to keep up withthe rest of the 4wd crowd, also the interior (and exterior) is not as nice.

It looks to me like the Bora 4motion offers the most "bang per buck" and less likely to be ragged than the equivalent golf.

Any thoughts out there? Any other brands of car similar age/cost/4wd?

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. cocobay63 Forum Member

i think youve covered them all the ones id personally have with a 5k max limit might be the Golf 4 Motion !

3. Dan Gliballs Forum Member

The A4 Avants are only Astra Estate size.

Shame you can't add a bit more and run to an S4 really.

4. was8v Forum Member

A 2000 S4 saloon would be around 7.5k plus too big really. I don't want an estate.

5. cocobay63 Forum Member

the A4 avants arnt really bad thou tbh,

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  6. Dan Gliballs Forum Member

Nah, the saloons fetch less than the Avants. An S4 saloon with some miles on it can be had from around 5.5K-6K now.

My point is though that GENERALLY speaking, A4's are not big cars. My MK3 Golf swallows my larrrge drumkit almost as easily as my S4 Avant.

7. stu h Forum Member

I don't think there are any more.

the Bora 4 motion's are nice and stealthy and I'd bet on it being easier to find a decent one over the equivalent golf.

8. ANDYTQ New Member

I picked a3 quattro for ease of tuning over a v6 car just make sure you get a facelift 6spd model or you will spend more money updating a 5spd.Facelift 2000 on gets ko3s turbo,6spd,better lights and a much nicer interior.Cheers Andy

9. g60notter Forum Member

sorry guys , but has the vr6 bora got the same haldex in the r32 golf ? cheers.

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^^ yes.

I would go for the bora, or maybe an S3??

11. paulyDMX Forum Member

Once sunny St Albans, now delightful Deal, Kent
    I've just got my self a 2000 (X) Golf 4motion: 62k just (before I bought it) had 998 spent on a service, 6 months tax, 10 months MOT, leather Recaros, winter pack, FSH, 18" R32 wheels, private plate and a few other subtle mods such as Polo rear wiper, brushed aluminium interior trim.

It was in Autotrader for 5250, but they're not worth that - especially with fuel being the price it was/is. Anyway, I ended up getting it for 3850 and have had offers around 1000 for the plate. There's plenty to be had, but I was only interested in the 2000 because it'll be in the lower tax bracket (making a difference of over 200 a year in 2010).

It's an awesome motor - I'm well happy with it and the fuel economy isn't that bad. I get around 25mpg - which I think lasted around 340 miles for a tank of fuel.

I went and looked at about 6 or 7 and had to travel to see most of them too. A lot (even those with supposed FVWSH) were totally run ragged but if you're patient you'll get a decent one for well under 4k.

12. paulyDMX Forum Member

Once sunny St Albans, now delightful Deal, Kent
    Also - I have to check, but I might know of someone who still has a 4motion for sale who wants about 4k (I'd already got mine by the time he got back to me).

OR my mate who is trying to sell his A3 1.8T Quattro????? (he's just got a Merc M class for some stupid ****ing reason).

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Slightly academic, but FWIW there was a 4WD Seat Leon, never sold in the UK. Believe it was a Golf 4-Motion underneath.

Edit: sold in 1.8T and V6 guise, LHD only.