which mk4 gti?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by vs29, Feb 27, 2007.

1. vs29 New Member

hi guys i am after a mk4 gti preferably a 3dr 03 or 04 car,i don t know which to go for the turbo or plain 2.0 model.i have owned 2 mk3 8 valvers and loved their reliability and ease of maintainence.what are your thoughts on this i need all the advice i can get.is it possible to get a late model mk4 with a sunroof,i apologize for my ignorance but i have been out of the golf world for 2 years now and desparately want to get back in the drivers seat of another gti.thanks

2. Turborat Forum Member

Hi mate,

My advice would be get the 20v Turbo version and if you can keep your eyes peeled for one with 180bhp. I think the engine codes you need to look for are AUQ or possibly ARZ (would need this one confirming!). These engine codes are not that important if you will get the engine re-mapped/chipped in the future as in the end they all produce similar figures from a remap.
    Avoid the AGU pre-2000 models if you are looking at tuning in the future as these are restricted for output by the K03 turbo fitted. Later models have the K03s turbo which you can get more out of!

The 1.8t is much more responsive and much more tuneable. With regards to reliability, as long as there is a good/full service history you should be fine, our 1.8t is on 133k and still drives perfectly.

Not sure on the sunroof but you will be able to get one with the climate control fitted for sure.:thumbup:

Hope this helps a bit.[:D]

3. Seraph Banned

AUQ yes, Not ARZ, also AJL, AJQ & ARY

if reliability and ease of maintainence is important to you, and your happy with the performance of the 2.0l, perhaps you should consider a higher spec diesel.