which mk4 gti?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by vs29, Mar 7, 2007.

1. vs29 New Member

hi guys i went yesterday to look at mk4 gtis.i drove the 2.0 8v and a 2001 1.8 turbo.theturbo made me smile i have to admit.i have owned 2 mk3gtis and loved their simplicity and reliability.i am a married man and never tune any cars i like to have them looking well,on top of that i see it about once a week.problem is the 2.0 felt slower than my mk3 but maybe the 18 inch wheels were part of the problem.i don t know what to go for.as i say i know i could jump into the 8 valve every day and it will be reliable but something in the back of my mind teells e there is a lot of components that could go wrong in the turbo model.as i say reliability is a must do you think i would be safer with the 8 valve bearing in mind im not a boy racer type.i just want to get back into a gti again.im considering buying the car (*8v) if it is still there on sat.i think the 18 inch wheels are too big though 17s would be plenty.any advice and i understand there has nt really been a gti since the mk2.i think the 115 bhp would be ok for me

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

The turbo would be the one for me.

Your writing gives me a headache, you need to press [Enter] more;)

3. Seraph Banned

^hes right - use the carriage return!!!

As for the car, id say:

Chose the 2.0 if you want the reliablity of a mk4, with lower running costs than a 20vt and dont mind a mk4 thats slower that the diesel equivelent mk4.

Chose the 1.8 20vt if you want a mk4 more resembling the experience of the mk2gti.

4. Signum_2006 New Member

Sure enuf, i have just got a 1.8T, as you would expect, cant fault it.

If ur sensible and drive sensible as in change gear before te engine is hanging out,
    2500 - 2800 revs, then fuel shouldnt be that much of a problem, you will notcie it abit, of course you will,

but its nice to think that every now and again u wanna just squeeze a few more pulses out of it then u cant argue with the turbo, its under ya right toe and will make u smile[:D]

and after all, its good to smile!!

5. VR6gaz Forum Member

have u thort about gettin a GTTDI?