Which Mk5 Golf diesel?

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by shiggins92, Oct 1, 2009.

1. shiggins92 Forum Member

right to start im an absolute noob with volkswagon golfs.

Im looking into getting a diesel and i really like this:
    http://www.babez.de/vw/golfgttdi/newtitel.jpg

im not sure if thats a mk5 or what it is td gti i think but its really nice.

is there any reccomendations of which one to get and whats the difference?

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the GT diesels are nice, as are the GT TDI in either 140 or 170bhp form. Both well spec'd and lovely cars imo. If you can get a 170 with leather you will be laughing

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

My friend has a well specced TDi, it's a nice smooth car to drive and seems like it would be a comfortable daily, he got a good deal on it too (ex-demo I think it was, he got one hell of a price on it though considering it wasn't out that long when he got it.)

4. shiggins92 Forum Member

do they look exactly the same the td gti 140 and 170 brake how will i tell the diff nd would i be able to get one around 56 plate?

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

keep to the 140 is my advice,

170's will / should be advertised as that, it has a Diesel Partical Filter on it

6. shiggins92 Forum Member

7. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^whats up with the 170?

they did 1.9 (110bhp?)
    and then 2.0 (140/170)

8. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

well the 170, yes it's quick and more noticeable quicker when driving. It's a lot more thirsty on the juice not only because of the more power but it has a Diesel particle filter (DPF) which has a CAT then a section that catches the ash produced
    it will then chuck fuel though the exhaust to burn the ash of, if this isn't done it will throw up a warning light for the driver to stay at a steady 2000K RPM for about 20mins driving
    if this isn't completed soon your potentially blocking the filter, turning the warning light red and switches on Limp mode

all of the above are not considered warranty issues, a new DPF is in the region of [:[] 1200+Labour if fully blocked

couple of the euro tuners are working on remap with allows the DPF to be replaced with straight pipe

or a stock 140 will remap to 170, but you have to be gentle with it as the turbo is only small

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

that sounds very gay. I drove a 140, and it didnt feel anywhere near as quick as a mk4 150pd

10. Matt G Forum Member

wor lass had the 1.9 tdi - 105 bhp.

it was a handy car like. decent off the line so handy around town, but dont expect "performance" above 60 mph! we used to get 60+ mpg on long runs though.

11. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

we have both mk4 130 GTTI, and a mk 5 140 GTTDI, in factory form
    the mk 4 is quicker, it has bigger turbo stock, and shorter gearbox
    mk 5 is better car, more economical and better at higher revs being a 16 Valve

the mk 5 also has a more gentle power delivery around the 2000K mark to help conserve the clutch

with my driving style the mk 4 gets between 34-48MGP, same style in mk 5 gets 32-62 !

12. James_mk2 Forum Member

Looks wise i believe only the 170 gets the twin stainless tailpipes whereas i think the 140 has hidden ones? May not be something that bothers you but it does look better.
    Friends dad has the 170 lump in his Leon and that's had no problems with the particulate filter or anything like that at all, and it really does go some.

13. shiggins92 Forum Member

so s gt tdi sport mk5 140bhp how much am i looking at?

14. shiggins92 Forum Member

also around a 56 plate^^^?

15. Ess Three Forum Member

My old man has a PD170 too, in a Mk5 and he's never had a problem with the DPF.
    It seems that if you drive it reasonably hard, it's fine...if you never go above 1500RPM and really try to coax every last MPG out if it, you may get the DPF warning...but hoon about as normal...no issues.

And hell fire! It goes...
    His is DSG which to me, suits the TDIs better than the Petrol, and despite having a sport mode, rarely needs it. It really is quick...

He gets 45+ MPG average from his GT TDI 170 PD, leaving it in Auto (no MFSW or paddles in his).

16. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

if you keep ragging it the dpf won't block

even if it does, just ditch it and go for a remap and say hello to 240bhp.

i've driven the 140 and the 170 back to back (in a SEAT Altea). the 140 seemed to have more bottom end grunt, but fell flat on it's face just as you were enjoying the power, whereas the 170 is a tiny but laggier, but likes to rev more, and feel more like a petrol.

we bought the 170 in the end.

averaging anywhere between 38-42mpg depending on how it's driven.

17. 2.0 MK2 Forum Member

once your egt gets to around 600 - 700 degrees you'll burn off any particulate build up in about 5 mins, without ever having to go into 'regen'. i.e. a run down the motorway / decent A road is fine - no need to 'rag it'.

you'll only have a problem if you live in London and a huge proportion of your driving is short journeys at very low speed / low load, as your egt won't be hot enough to keep the filter clear.

the ecu will then want to put the engine into regen, which results in later/greater quantities of post injection to get the egt up - the main problem being this can leave diesel further down the cylinder bores which mixes with the engine oil on the following cycle, reducing the lubrication performance of your engine oil + your turbo wont love it either.

The DPF is supposed to last the life of the car, but the ceramic internals have been known to crack after a high number heat cycles (regens) and as mentioned above they aren't cheap to replace!

so if you mostly do city driving just get the 140 ;)